News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Roads, Highways & Infrastructure

Thanks @MichaelS for that history!

Question: Does the airport actually have any ability to prevent the city from reneging on the deal? What's to stop City Hall from saying "times are tough, we just don't have the money to pay for these interchanges"?

Not sure, and that is an interesting question. I am no lawyer, but I imagine there were many that went over the terms of that deal in great detail. I bet the airport could have sued the city for all it was worth if they reneged.

The airport has jurisdiction over its own land, so it could take action that was very uncooperative, like lets say, putting large concrete blocks at the entrances to airport trail from the east.

AB government posted a new alignment video on the West Ring Road at the beginning of July - West Calgary Ring Road project – Final design. Updated from this video from 2017 - Take a drive on the West Calgary Ring Road. I took some screen shots and summarized the differences below.

klesvmo.jpg

UlpwcHJ.jpg

TransCanada Highway / Valley Ridge

Looks like the exit from WB TransCanada to Valley Ridge Blvd was smoothed out, and an access road through the Rocky View County area was finalized.

Fgij7qF.jpg

A6MUzpj.jpg

Old Banff Coach Road / Bow Trail

Looks like just some minor alignment updates on this one, no glaring differences.

KP2gOSt.jpg

1yPD2eD.jpg

17 Avenues SW / Highway 8

Realigned access for 101 Street SW to 17 Avenue SW. Major changes to the WB-NB movement, with the interchange now including a triple stack, with the WB-HWY8 traffic going overtop WB-NB traffic, and EB-NB coming underneath both. EB-NB also now has a basket weave with NB-17ave Exit traffic, instead of along weave lane.

^^ Oh frig, I went to register but I don't have a library card. I'll have to go get one. Does anyone know where I get one?

Not sure if anyone else checks for photo updates on the SWCRR site, but it has been quite a while since the last update. I sent a message the the info@ email for the project, and got this response:

Thanks for reaching out. There has been an interruption with the service provider responsible for the aerial photos, but I’ve reached out with the goal of getting further information. Ideally, we’d like to have another update on the website in the coming weeks.

So hopefully there will be an update soon. There has been a ton of progress since the last update, so it will be nice to see it coming along more.

Not sure if anyone else checks for photo updates on the SWCRR site, but it has been quite a while since the last update. I sent a message the the info@ email for the project, and got this response:

So hopefully there will be an update soon. There has been a ton of progress since the last update, so it will be nice to see it coming along more.

Although no photo updates on the website since April, there is updated Google Earth imagery from July 10, 2019 that you can use for an interim comparison of the northern side of the project anyways. As you go south the imagery is older.

Last edited:

Just a little personal photo update of work at the Anderson/SWCRR interchange. Work is underway for the road base of the WB->SB movement. Bridge girders are pre-positioned, with some already installed for the SB exit overpass. A large amount of packed gravel/dirt is piled under that overpass, not sure if it is for easier access to work under the overpass or if it is just pre-positioning for the road base. The overpass in the last picture is bridge 25 which will the for WB->SB traffic flying over traffic going/coming from the Taza area. It looks like it is being built with temporary dirt retaining walls on both sides. Obviously this will have to be removed eventually, so I assume it is used in some way to make construction easier.

Back