News   Sep 20, 2019
 220     0 
News   Sep 19, 2019
 208     0 

Reclads

Calgcouver

Member Bio
Reaction score

Aspen's Palliser One reclad was finally presented and is proceeding over the next 18 months. The existing crumbling and discolored 1968 material, insulation, air gap, etc. will all be removed as they basically demolish the outside of the building and then repanel all the way up.
This reclad is so bad it borders on unacceptable. This is the kind of thing an urban design panel should be able to send back to the drawing board.It is amazing that they could make this building look shittier than it's current condition. It would look better if they just fixed/replaced the exterior to be the same and repaint the building white and focus on making the podium and retail component of a high quality

Last edited:

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
Kinda sorta a reclad, so I am bumping this thread. Boardwalk appears to be doing some upgrades to the O'Neill Tower on 9th Street and 7th Ave SW. Maintenance work on the pool deck (and adding some trees), repainting the above ground parkade a nice clean white (in progress). All of this after redoing/upgrading the ground floor of the tower with new cladding and storefronts. I don't know if they are going to paint the tower too, but I hope so. I get a lot of grey/beige/brownish grey out my window when I look in that direction. Apologies for the less than stellar photo through a dirty window.
IMG_20190703_205434491.jpg

The Familia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Oh God it’s actually happening...Maybe the whole building will just collapse during the “Reno” and they can just start fresh.

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
*barfs all over and dies* 🤮 ☠

heightjunkie

Member Bio
Reaction score
Shame - was probably the nicest brutalist in downtown.
Lol I was going to post exactly on these lines:
I generally abhor brutalist design, outside of some really spectacular examples like the SFU campus.
However, if you were to pick any example of brutalist architecture in Calgary to leave as is this is what I would have chosen. Does anyone know what the new cladding is supposed to look like? This could turn into a monstrosity if the cheap out.

Atticus

Member Bio
Reaction score
Technically, not a brutalist building, as the concrete pieces are panels attached onto the building, but I agree it was better left as it was (unless there were issues with the panels)
The reclad looks like crap IMO. There's a render a couple of pages back.
Shame - was probably the nicest brutalist in downtown.
Lol I was going to post exactly on these lines:
I generally abhor brutalist design, outside of some really spectacular examples like the SFU campus.
However, if you were to pick any example of brutalist architecture in Calgary to leave as is this is what I would have chosen. Does anyone know what the new cladding is supposed to look like? This could turn into a monstrosity if the cheap out.

The Familia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Disagree. This building looked like shit and the concrete pans were literally crumbling. Always thought this looked like a prison. The new renderings look like trash though.
My favourite building to keep is the old Pan Canadian building across from the Pallisar. They re did the lobby and ground floor which looks nice. If they would have replaced all the windows (non tinted glass) it would be great. Cool shape to the building!

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think the old CBE is by far our best brutalist building in the city. It should be converted to some sort of public institution and the plaza with the Family of Man statues should by revitalized into one of our prime public spaces, as there is an upper level and lower level, it could be similar to Robson Square in Vancouver.