News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Infill Development Discussion

I think RNDSQR was on the brink. Seems like they’ve gone back to their infill roots and away from the mid-rises that almost did them in.

Interestingly, I received an email from RNDSQR the other day for “m ddl School”, a crash course taught by Alkarim Devani on delivering missing middle developments (https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/mddl-school-crash-course-tickets-893861292187). All for the low-low price of $528.51.

During a recent Main Streets presentation, the City mentioned that a sale of the property was pending and that the City was waiting for that sale to close so the City could use the lot for temporary public parking to alleviate the parking impacts from construction.
So that block os going to become a parking lot? Wow.

I think RNDSQR was on the brink. Seems like they’ve gone back to their infill roots and away from the mid-rises that almost did them in.

Interestingly, I received an email from RNDSQR the other day for “m ddl School”, a crash course taught by Alkarim Devani on delivering missing middle developments (https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/mddl-school-crash-course-tickets-893861292187). All for the low-low price of $528.51.

During a recent Main Streets presentation, the City mentioned that a sale of the property was pending and that the City was waiting for that sale to close so the City could use the lot for temporary public parking to alleviate the parking impacts from construction.
I feel like their Winnipeg project saved them. Hope they can regroup and slowly get back to some of the midrise stuff, we need developers like them in this City to counter the big boys.

So that block os going to become a parking lot? Wow.
Sounds like it's only temporary, but unfortunately these 'temporary' solutions often become permanent unless there's a catalyst for some other use. Hopefully someone like Truman or Sarina can buy it and do something with it, otherwise, it won't be temporary.

2002757892.jpg

Five-unit townhome infill in Bankview at the junction of 17a St SW and 19Ave SW.

She might not axe it, but a new slate of councillors next year could. Should be an interesting 12-months at multiple levels of government.

She might not axe it, but a new slate of councillors next year could. Should be an interesting 12-months at multiple levels of government.
A year from now, the zoning will have been in place for a while and instead of 300,000 homeowners worked up about the bulldozers moving in next door the morning after the zoning passes, there will be 295,000 homeowners who have completely forgotten about the zoning, 2,000 homeowners who had infill develop next to them, and 3,000 homeowners who benefited from the infill. Remember the previous biggest issue regarding zoning was secondary suites, which was the hottest topic in Calgary politics for two years... until a week after it passed, and hasn't been heard from since.

For perspective on how fast things can change, a year ago, the UCP's biggest issue was protecting the expression of free speech on university campuses:
“It is abundantly clear that more needs to be done to ensure our institutions are adequately protecting free speech,” Nicolaides said in Friday’s news release.

“Alberta’s post-secondary institutions should be bastions of free speech and academic freedom that promote critical thinking. I will continue to explore greater steps we can take to strengthen free speech on campus.”

I also think a Conservative government led by Pierre Pollivere would support blanket zoning and could become an issue for municipal funding if it's revoked later. All and all, thank god that the days of NIMBYist are limited.

A year from now, the zoning will have been in place for a while and instead of 300,000 homeowners worked up about the bulldozers moving in next door the morning after the zoning passes, there will be 295,000 homeowners who have completely forgotten about the zoning, 2,000 homeowners who had infill develop next to them, and 3,000 homeowners who benefited from the infill. Remember the previous biggest issue regarding zoning was secondary suites, which was the hottest topic in Calgary politics for two years... until a week after it passed, and hasn't been heard from since.
Exactly. The next election is over a year away, and the controversy will be long forgotten.

Exactly. The next election is over a year away, and the controversy will be long forgotten.
A few communities are in the process of registering a blanket restrictive covenant to preserve their single family only status. Roxboro and Rideau are doing it and I'm sure there will be others. The appeals lawyers are going to get very rich.

Back