News   Apr 03, 2020
 5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

Infill Development Discussion

New one on 20th Ave NE. Aside from the setback at the front I like it. Particularily like their bike storage and location right off of alley
1717007792881.png

There's also this proposed affordable housing project located here.

1717188053170.png

So nice to decent density development along 20th ave, and not just duplexes. My Santa wish list is to see a few more Catalyst/Trail19 type builds along 20th with a bit of retail.....and a dedicated like lane, or at least one like they have on 24th. Have it connect to 24th ave via 19th maybe?

1717188506100.png

Here's an interesting one LOC2024-0144 on a pretty large consolidated site along 26 Avenue SW:
1717697134983.png

I am a bit surprised they didn't propose something denser here after all the work that it must have took to consolidate the parcels. Lots of precident only a block or two away for 6-storey apartments too:

This application proposes to change the designation of this property to a Direct Control (DC) District based on the Residential - Grade-Oriented Infill (R-CG) District. The DC (R-CG) District will primarily allow for rowhouse and townhouse buildings and will prohibit single detached, semi-detached, and duplex homes.
  • The maximum building height is 11.0 metres, about 3 storeys (no change from what is currently allowed).
The proposed Direct Control (DC) District is based on the rules of the existing Residential - Grade-Oriented Infill (R-CG) District, with the additional requirement of a 25-dwelling unit minimum. The existing maximum of 34 dwelling units will remain unchanged.
Any theories on the owner's rationale? What do you think their play is - just big townhome fans?

Here's an interesting one LOC2024-0144 on a pretty large consolidated site along 26 Avenue SW:
View attachment 570243

I am a bit surprised they didn't propose something denser here after all the work that it must have took to consolidate the parcels. Lots of precident only a block or two away for 6-storey apartments too:

This application proposes to change the designation of this property to a Direct Control (DC) District based on the Residential - Grade-Oriented Infill (R-CG) District. The DC (R-CG) District will primarily allow for rowhouse and townhouse buildings and will prohibit single detached, semi-detached, and duplex homes.
  • The maximum building height is 11.0 metres, about 3 storeys (no change from what is currently allowed).
The proposed Direct Control (DC) District is based on the rules of the existing Residential - Grade-Oriented Infill (R-CG) District, with the additional requirement of a 25-dwelling unit minimum. The existing maximum of 34 dwelling units will remain unchanged.
Any theories on the owner's rationale? What do you think their play is - just big townhome fans?
I think the cost for townhome construction is much lower than midrise. And in this area, you can sell or rent a townhome for a lot of money. This is a trend across the city.

I'm also curious about this - if they're building something that would be allowed under R-CG, why go through the effort of redesignation to DC?

I'm also curious about this - if they're building something that would be allowed under R-CG, why go through the effort of redesignation to DC?
Yeah seems odd in that way - but I am not an expert in the R-CG rezoning process now that that has passed citywide, perhaps to @darwink 's point, this is just to really spell out exactly what can happen on this parcel to make it easier to sell. It sounds like it just has R-CG base characteristics, but they have removed the ability to have single, semis or duplexes via the DC - so that would be the only change?

Yeah seems odd in that way - but I am not an expert in the R-CG rezoning process now that that has passed citywide, perhaps to @darwink 's point, this is just to really spell out exactly what can happen on this parcel to make it easier to sell. It sounds like it just has R-CG base characteristics, but they have removed the ability to have single, semis or duplexes via the DC - so that would be the only change?
Mostly if somehow the R-CG zoning concept as a whole disappears due to crazy politics, this project would still be allowed imo, to expand on my certainty point.

Back