News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

I guess what I am referring to are night clubs in the traditional sense. Yes there are lots of bars and pubs that turn into a dance hall or club later at night, but whatever happened to all the high end night clubs (Mynt)? I remember that there used to be lots of night clubs that had strict dress codes (dress shoes for guys, collared shirt, no hats or hoodies, etc). I kind of feel that society as a whole has really regressed in terms of how people present themselves in public. I mean nothing wrong with comfy hoodies, but it would be nice if people still dressed up once in a while when going out. I would love for a revival of the "dinner club" scene that existed in the 50's and 60's like is seen in Goodfellas (everyone wears a suit/dress, classy entertainment and dinner).
The way people present themselves publicly has been trending toward informality for a very long time (at least a century) and is pretty consistent across all of Western society. It used to be unthinkable for a man to walk around outside without a hat. Formal dress codes have hung around in certain work places and a few esoteric leisure places (golf clubs, the odd restaurant, etc.), but they are disappearing quickly.

My guess is that it is mostly due to the disappearance of a strong working class/professional class divide. Dress codes allowed establishments to basically ban working class people. Sure, the odd working class couple could have put on their "Sunday best" (because they only good clothes they owned were for church) and try to get a table at a fancy restaurant. But they likely would stick out like a sore thumb and probably find the whole experience very uncomfortable.

As Western countries experienced a general rise in prosperity and education in the 20th century (along with the steep decline in the cost of clothing), public appearance stopped functioning to distinguish the elites from the masses. Dress codes now strike most people as weirdly regressive and status conscious. There is still a "country club" class who inhabit worlds where dress codes are more common, but they are dominated by elderly, corporate conservatives who don't enjoy the social privileges they once had decades ago. Few professional class people today aspire to join the country clubs.

Obviously, elites still distinguish themselves from non-elites, but the way they do so is subtler and more complex. Marks of distinction function best when their intentions are fully obscured (including to the wearer of distinction him or herself).

Few pics of the glorious new Inglewood bridge.

E099794F-E83E-4FF8-B226-BA4FBCEBDD5C.jpeg
8D22E6F1-92E3-4D0A-9899-DEA510E64E20.jpeg
0642F741-13D6-425A-8759-66E1646A2429.jpeg
D40AA46C-874E-4105-8B97-D8BB000737E3.jpeg
A63C33C4-55BE-483E-8867-2FE89638B089.jpeg

The Downtown Regency Inn and Suites has been bought by Coastal Hotels/ APA and is getting a makeover, hopefully they can give the exterior a bit of a facelift too.

Nice focus on a niche market. Pretty cool to see attempts to cater to Japanese visitors.

I stay at the Coast in Edmonton every time I go there, really great hotel and great prices. But it’s far and away better than the Regency. Has a pool and a hot tub among other things. Despite the buildings being the same age, the Edmonton Coast looks like something I would actually want downtown, while this thing couldn’t even be considered a butterface.

The exterior just got a bit of a facelift in 2017/2018. Here is what it looked like in April 2017:
View attachment 388880

That wasn't a facelift in 2018. That was a facedrop, facepalm and faceplant.

Last edited:

Back