News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

I think the pathway is diverted north on 33rd street, to eventually connect with the Bow River pathway system, hence why it is not in Zone 2.

I am disappointed that they don't make use of the bylawed setback along this stretch of 17th Avenue. That has been in place for decades, to preserve for road expansion. Thank god we didn't build more traffic lanes, but we are now expanding the "road" so to speak, so why not exercise the powers necessary to utilize it? I get that it would cost a lot more to acquire that property, so fair enough. But in that case, why not drop the requirement from the land use bylaw? As I type this, the bylaw clearly shows that properties along 17th Avenue SW, between 37th Street and 17th Street, have to preserve 5.182m of excess ROW.
lub.calgary.ca
1619923523256.png

I think the pathway is diverted north on 33rd street, to eventually connect with the Bow River pathway system, hence why it is not in Zone 2.
The Bow River seems like a long way to divert cycle traffic. It's too bad it didn't go straight down 17th all the way down to 14th. It's a lot to ask, but it would be nice.

Here is a post I had from back in 2019 in the infill thread, when the site looked basically the same as today, but at least I found a rendering of what could have been.
Was driving by this site on 16th ave last night and saw that the elevator shafts have been poured. Not big, but a nice bit of infill on 16th. Location is 208 16 Ave NE:
View attachment 205920

Here is a post I had from back in 2019 in the infill thread, when the site looked basically the same as today, but at least I found a rendering of what could have been.
They had meant to be in there rapidly (photo is from December 2018):

1620397659918.png

Sounds like a charity/society where a big donation didn't come through:
"In January, 2017 we began to offer classes at the Crescent Heights Community Centre and now have a temporary location next door to our new Centre, being built by friends and committed members of our community."

They had meant to be in there rapidly (photo is from December 2018):

View attachment 317874

Sounds like a charity/society where a big donation didn't come through:
"In January, 2017 we began to offer classes at the Crescent Heights Community Centre and now have a temporary location next door to our new Centre, being built by friends and committed members of our community."

sounds like their community members were less committed than expected. I’ve never heard of a yoga studio developing its own building, seems like an odd plan.

A very cool development underway is the conversion of the Hotel Elan back into apartments. I spoke with one of the workers the other day and he said that the owner donated it to some organization. The apartments are going to be luxury rentals, but all proceeds will go toward funding new affordable housing in the inner city.

BA6476FB-FF48-4465-9873-8DCA1A55125D.jpeg

Also, the affordable housing project next to Elan is nearly finished…

42957305-ED65-48F6-AB31-C0096BC92FC0.jpeg

Back