News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.6K     0 

General Construction Updates

Hmm, I was thinking that PBS could have definitely done a shift to the downtown core. However the family has never struck me as inner-city style types so a expansion of space near where they already are makes sense.

Better late than never but the Penn West Plaza +15 is now open.

20190729_193705 (1).jpg

Takes away from bodies on the streets, some people want to see more people on the sidewalks so that the downtown core feels more alive. I'd rather be out of the elements both summer and winter.

Takes away from bodies on the streets, some people want to see more people on the sidewalks so that the downtown core feels more alive. I'd rather be out of the elements both summer and winter.
I think that the +15 network just acts as a secondary streetscape for the city. Most buildings downtown have retail options and public spaces on their +15 floors to accommodate this. It creates liveliness and community even in the dead of winter. I think it serves a wonderful complimentary role to the regular streetscape

If the city had have made new buildings put at least half of the retail on the street but still allowed the +15 I think it would have been fine. There are too many buildings full of retail but are completely lifeless on the outside. I do like to use it when it's cold or rainy.

That is my concern with the +15 network as well.

Oh that lot right off Deerfoot at the Entrance to 130th! The caffeine must not have kicked in yet this morning as I read Quarry Park for some reason. I noticed equipment on site the last few weeks. They're actually digging right now. Don't tell that to those opposing the SE Greenline though. It's strictly a maintenance shed and tumble weeds at Shepard. Glad to see it finally get some form of development. Will be a bitch getting in or out of there though.

I figured this would happen eventually since the condition for getting these permits was to add that double turning lane and remove access to the first lights from NB Deerfoot access. The road design in that area is pretty terrible overall and the city let the developers get away with cheaping out, there was originally supposed to be a back road like 126 ave on the south side with higher emphasis on utilizing those for access to businesses, and the 4 way stop of doom would have been removed as well. Adding a bunch of additional traffic could get interesting, but maybe there are ways to change the timing to help with that?

That is my concern with the +15 network as well.
Fair concerns... having active streetscapes around our buildings in the core is a great goal, but I think the "streetscape" and community that is built up in the +15 areas is pretty interesting on it's own as well. I could get behind a better balancing of retail spaces between ground floor/ +15 levels, but to outright pan the +15 network is foolish when the city exists in a sub 0 state for ~ 1/2 the year at least.

Back