News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

What ever happened with the Sovereign project?
Old news regarding the topping off of Residence Inn, but an interesting paragraph in the article. Looks like Sovereign and One's 12th ave tower have picked Axiom as the GC. Those projects may be the next ones down the pipe.
http://calgaryherald.com/business/real-estate/around-town-thursday-january-25-axiom

Three towers are planned by One Properties to be built by Axiom on Macleod Trail between 12th and 13th avenues S.E. And another Calgary construction job awarded to Axiom is an exciting residential project by Avi Urban at 17th Avenue just to the west of La Chaumiere Restaurant and Rouleauville Square.

If Sovereign is the Avi Urban project, it is on indefinite hold. It is supposed to be high-rise condo (they don't do purpose rentals) and given the state of that market in the inner city, it's not the right time.

Minor update on the Professional Bldg Construction at Meadows Mile:

Professional Bldg Construction IMG_2602
by ferreth, on Flickr

Couple more angles up there on Flickr if you want to look.

Not much change this week, but they are working steadily on the 2nd level forms for the pour. I didn't really capture it well but you can see the little building in the back (coffee shop) taking form. It seems a strange thing for building like this, can't think of any other examples like it at least in this small (3-4 story) a form factor.

Looking at those McMahon renders only solidifies my no vote for the Olympic bid, but that would be an off topic, so if you want to read my reasoning here is is.

So the answer is a resounding "NO" (56.4% vs 43.5%ish).

You know and I know that this was not technically a vote about whether or not to use taxpayer money to build a new stadium... but we also both know that is exactly what it was about.

Personally, I think - done the right way - the Olympics could have been a boon for infrastructure, our city brand, and ultimately our economy. However, a certain group of millionaire owners seemed to be (very transparently) making this "right way" very difficult. My instinct is that Calgarians are a bit (56%) jaded by the political attempts of this group to have their way. More than a rejection of the hosting the Olympics, I see the results of the plebiscite as a rejection of their tone-deaf tactics.

Here's some free consulting for the Flames' ownership group:
- Make a detailed website (duh) with information related to the project
- Define your project with a clear, socially-oriented vision: "To reimagine Stampede Park/Vic Park/WV/Banff Trail as an all season destination and crossroads for the surrounding communities with opportunities for developers, retail, and new residents blah blah blah..."
- Create a clear illustration (i.e. a picture) of the ways you envision people moving through the stadium site(s). Use broad arrows to show how transit, pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers will access the site
- Engage the community with a survey so you can pretend you are taking their thoughts into account throughout the design process
- Present ideas for how the project could benefit the non-spectating public (i.e. waterfront pathways, plazas, a tailgate amphitheatre, shinny rink, amateur facilities, public facilities, improvements to street front, opportunities for existing organizations like CUSA/CBFA/CMHA, etc.)
- Offer options at different price points and degrees of public benefit
- Outline the phases/timeline and important benchmarks the project needs to succeed
- Stop letting those who would antagonize Nenshi, council, and progressives speak for you. There is no version of this project that proceeds without cooperation.
- Ultimately, it's still going to be a giant public ask. In the States a plebiscite could include a new tax, which we aren't able to do here - but honestly, we should be thinking about it AS IF there were a new tax associated with it. This is where the owners seem the most hypocritical, maybe because they haven't fully philosophically reckoned with what they are asking for.

Barron building demo:
A2264A5F-E03E-4D0B-B282-B92DFCA246B8.jpeg
E281869C-BC40-440E-81B9-3122B6D5A680.jpeg

Barron Building is gonna be rental apartments with ground floor retail. They will need to have windows for the residential units likely starting from the second floor. I believe the concrete portion on the back they are tearing down is the old theatre and mezzanine to make way for more efficient/useful residential floorplates. If they do this building right (heritage-ish lofts, true to the Art-Moderne style) sign me up to rent here if I ever move back, always loved this building.

Pipedream, but i would like to see all heritage buildings along Stephen Avenue converted to residential or live/work units (At least the ones not connected to the mall) and have it feel and develop in a similar manner to Gastown. Would breathe life into Stephen Ave where we really need it.

Now, who wants to JV to renovate/redevelop the St Regis Hotel with me? It's assessed at ~$2.5M at this point and shouldn't be allowed to languish anymore. Retail/restaurant/bar on main floor, 2nd and 3rd floor as like Drake Hotel-ish boutique hotels, residential lofts on floors 4-6, and hopefully rooftop amenity. Dare to dream :/
1542301408347.png

In the original Bow plans, St. Regis was to be converted into a Encana only employee hotel-the city's hotel market was in a huge crunch at the time, to the point where Encana's corporate travel department had a standing block of rooms at the Delta South.

An idea I have had bouncing around lately has been to focus on a heritage district for Calgary that would allow for only residential & live/work units above grade. It would be developed in the same way Gastown was (Gastown isn't all old, most of it is heritage-ish infill). Heritage infill lots and renovated old C-class office buildings. These were the blocks that would make sense to include:
1542303877996.png

1542303912695.png

I think that's a great idea.

An idea I have had bouncing around lately has been to focus on a heritage district for Calgary that would allow for only residential & live/work units above grade. It would be developed in the same way Gastown was (Gastown isn't all old, most of it is heritage-ish infill). Heritage infill lots and renovated old C-class office buildings. These were the blocks that would make sense to include:

Back