News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Woah I wasn't expecting to see anything up in Crowfoot for a long time. I mean it's not super great, but I'm impressed.

Anyone else having issues with the "go to first unread post" button on the threads, or is it just me.

EDIT- Also, my avatar is gone.
@retrofiturbanism , I forwarded this on to the administrators. I noticed a coupe of other people lost their avatars....must have been something to do with the upgrade..

Cheers, Kevin.

Good density for Crowfoot Crescent, what would also be nice is if they could make that area more pedestrian friendly somehow. Right now it's about the least pedestrian friendly place in the city.

And another re-zoning application for Marda Loop yesterday:
1541604092787.png

https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#map

That's a good positive change for the neighborhood, 34th is starting to become a decent little corridor. I hope the change in use involves getting rid of those trees...I know it's hope much to hope for but even the telephone poles.

Good way to get a YES for the plebiscite by showing off fancy picso_O. But I find the McMahon stadium renovation a little worrying. I was hoping for a new football stadium down the line as well. Especially in a tundra city like ours, its a lot more beneficial to have a stadium like BC Place. Its brutal watching games around this time of the year. If Calgary was able to get a retractable roof arena, we'd also have a realistic shot at getting a MLS team in the next 25-30 years. Redeveloping or Renovating McMahon would kill all hopes of that for a long time.

Good way to get a YES for the plebiscite by showing off fancy picso_O. But I find the McMahon stadium renovation a little worrying. I was hoping for a new football stadium down the line as well. Especially in a tundra city like ours, its a lot more beneficial to have a stadium like BC Place. Its brutal watching games around this time of the year. If Calgary was able to get a retractable roof arena, we'd also have a realistic shot at getting a MLS team in the next 25-30 years. Redeveloping or Renovating McMahon would kill all hopes of that for a long
The idea of a new stadium is a good one (especially in the fall and winter), but how are we going to pay for it? The uproar over the money being proposed for the olympics is sending factions of the city into an uproar. I would think the cost of a new stadium would be more than the whole city Olympic contribution. I doubt with city revenue shortfalls that money will be found for a new McMahon. Maybe we should just be happy with the old stadium renovated. Hell new seats and a new concourse would be a great start to joining all the modern stadiums

Last edited by a moderator:
Good way to get a YES for the plebiscite by showing off fancy picso_O. But I find the McMahon stadium renovation a little worrying. I was hoping for a new football stadium down the line as well. Especially in a tundra city like ours, its a lot more beneficial to have a stadium like BC Place. Its brutal watching games around this time of the year. If Calgary was able to get a retractable roof arena, we'd also have a realistic shot at getting a MLS team in the next 25-30 years. Redeveloping or Renovating McMahon would kill all hopes of that for a long time.
I don’t think there is any use case where $500M plus of public money is dropped on a roofed stadium. The field house will be a good soccer stadium for building demand. If they can consistently fill 5,000+ seats there, then perhaps can talk about something like Forsyth Barr, either as new, or wrapping a renovated McMahon in efte walls and roof. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth_Barr_Stadium

Will be expensive though - needing it to consider both heating and cooling and all, or retractable.

The idea of a new stadium is a good one (especially in the fall and winter), but how are we going to pay for it? The uproar over the money being proposed for the olympics is sending factions of the city into an uproar. I would think the cost of a new stadium would be more than the whole city Olympic contribution. I doubt with city revenue shortfalls that money will be found for a new McMahon. Maybe we should just be happy with the old stadium renovated. Hell new seats and a new concourse would be a great start to joining all the modern stadiums
I think the cost of Mosaic Place was around $278 Million, and it's a nice stadium. I'm assuming they could easily do a new stadium for 300 at least. Another 100 Could be put towards the field house. $300 million could be put toward a new arena instead. I'd like to see the field house get built one way or another as I think it's needed.

Im not saying we need the stadium right now. The city can definitely find some funds to contribute 3 or 4 budget cycles from now. But realistically once Calgary metro starts touching around 2-2.5 million range, we could start making a good case for a MLS team so its not something we need right now. Who knows what the state of Calgarys economy could be 10 years from now. But IMO a renovation would surely kill any hopes of a new stadium for decades to come.

It would be nice to have a stadium sometime in the next decade. All cities with CFL teams have new or decent stadiums except Calgary. One of the most affluent cities in the country and one of the better attended CFL cities. My preference would be for a new arena, as more people would make sue of it, but a new stadium needs to be on the radar.

Back