News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

I suspect that he is talking about the Entertainment District (New Arena, expanded BMO centre, etc.) planned for the River's District area.

I would lose my mind if the arena was outside the core or even outside the planned entertainment district. That would be another nightmare in the making like the Canadian tire Centre in Ottawa. If I was the city negotiating I would be adamant about having the arena in Victoria Park as part of the deal.

He might be referring to the Omni development by Genesis in Rockyview. It is supposed to be NE of Calgary and right off of Airport trail.

More information here:
http://theomnicalgary.com
3genesis-omni-site-dynamics-2.png

Reactions: AJX
Thanks for posting that @albertaversuseverybody I haven't heard of tis project, but it's large. Reminds me of the project proposed for Tsuu T'ina

As for the Airport Trail extension going all the way out to where Omni is located, I'm guessing it's years away still.

Last edited:
You might be right, he may be talking about the omni project but I really hope that this mall doesn't go through. IMO and a few articles I've read online is that theres far too many malls in Calgary and in Canada in general for a population its size. Seeing how Crossiron is right near by I cant see both of them coexisting, on top of that it just looks like another car centric sprawling mess. I think developers need to work with the city and focus on the malls within city limits that are dying by the day. Sunridge, Marlborough, Northland are all malls that can and need to be revived. If Genesis was willing to tear one of the malls and build at one of these mentioned locations, I would be all in but I can't see another big mall being built at this point with our population. On top of that Calgary needs to focus on attracting more fashion boutiques and stores into its developing downtown retail shops or even on 17th, we lack some really bigge brands that have skipped over us these past few years of the recession that both Vancouver and Toronto have got.

The only thing I’ve heard so far is land use change.

Some of those Graywood projects in other cities look decent. Provides a bit of hope the architecture will be quality.

With the Batistella project across Gladstone, that area is going to change a lot.

Has this project been mentioned yet? Currently the site home to RBC in Kensington. Not much in the way of information - but there's a board advertising the website at the site itself:

hellokensingston.com

Back