News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

There was some mention of it a while back, but no details. Graywood had a presentation at one of the HSCA meetings IIRC, but only concept massing presented. Their other projects look promising, and combining with Battistella's potential development across the street, that area could become a pretty dense node. Possibly the model for other TOD's in the city.
Has this project been mentioned yet? Currently the site home to RBC in Kensington. Not much in the way of information - but there's a board advertising the website at the site itself:

hellokensingston.com

Re: Proposed Chinatown development

I read that the community engagement event held on the weekend was met with continued opposition. I guess people will not be happy unless the height of all the buildings is reduced to what is in the neighbourhood now, or lower. Perhaps everyone would be happier keeping it as parking lot.

At what point does the community get told 'this is a prime location, we need density like everywhere else downtown, and this what we are building'?

My biggest gripe is this comment

"But Terry Wong with the Chinatown District Business Improvement Area still wasn't convinced it's the right fit for the community.

"Having a 150-room hotel, while it may benefit the city, it doesn't necessarily benefit the residents because they don't participate in the hotel," Wong said."

If he's with the Business Improvement board, shouldn't he realize that a hotel bringing in non-residents will be a boon to the local businesses?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/chinatown-development-proposal-community-resistance-1.4757016

Pretty irrational if you ask me. I get it, people don't want some behemoth office building in their backyard or whatever. But a 150-room hotel is neither a behemoth nor an office building. It provides people with some jobs, and, like googspecial said, helps local businesses because tourists are gonna want to eat and shop and whatnot.
If they're trying to protect the "culture" of the Chinatown area, it would be much better protected with a building (of which China has many) than a barren parking lot. If it's about land value, a parking lot doesn't help that much either.
I just don't follow their logic here.

Yes that was a pretty myopic comment to make about the hotel, and should have been countered in the article. Hotels are one of the best developments for support of local business and community vibrancy.

If I recall correctly the last push back on hotels in China town a decade back, there are long memories of prostitution taking place in Eau Claire and China Town which were associated with hotels (whether accurately or inaccurately). Doesn't really matter having 150+ new customers who want to eat out, and are replaced often when your beliefs are informed by negative past experience.

Chinatown is in serious need of an upgrade. While it may not be dilapidated, it’s not very flattering as it stands. I avoid the area cause I find it kind of grungy and run down.

I personally think this is a petty attempt by existing landlords in Chinatown to limit competition for tenants and business.

So the addition to the Barron building has been shelved, instead just converting the existing building to residential:
https://twitter.com/CBCScott/status/1021535156236996609
I'm totally fine with that. The modern section next to the old was kind of cool, but office space is far from in demand. I like the idea of redoing the original bldg only, it'll have some real character.

Di05BxfUwAAF5ht.jpg

Attachments

• Di05BxfUwAAF5ht.jpg
    Di05BxfUwAAF5ht.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 669
I don't get why they couldn't have added a modern residential building next to it instead of offices. I'm sure they'd have no problem selling or renting out units given the prominent location

Enough with the pathetic opposition to Hon's Chinatown plan, that area needs new development (residential and retail) to help it draw people to it and continue to make it a destination for both residents and visitors. Love the idea of the hotel with the development, will help create that critical "after hours" traffic that the area needs.

I find it hilarious that the addition beside the Barron building forced the Chophouse out, so they moved to the Burns building and went under, yet that restaurant space is still there, And another place will move in soon lol.

Agreed Nimbus, P+W did massive consultations, dealt with lots of angry people, made many amendments to the design, yet they still face lots of opposition. It looks like a great project with a design that's better than most residential buildings in the city, it will have a hotel that will bring lots of people to the area as well, but they have to complain that the hotel isn't for them lol.

Enough with the pathetic opposition to Hon's Chinatown plan, that area needs new development (residential and retail) to help it draw people to it and continue to make it a destination for both residents and visitors. Love the idea of the hotel with the development, will help create that critical "after hours" traffic that the area needs.
Agreed. I don't know what it is exactly that the opposition wants to protect? Chinatown has been stalled for years now, and the p[art west of Centre has become stale. It's needs something like this.

Back