News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

CP's business is not real estate speculation or urban redevelopment. I feel there's absolutely no way CP would do either a re-route around Calgary or tunnel through downtown that unless government paid for the full capital cost, in exchange for the land they are vacating. I would also assume the government would have to take on the construction debt for the entire construction period before they were actually able to sell it.

If that's the case, unless the government was able to hedge by pre-selling the land, I really don't want any level of government to assume that risk for something like this...
Sorry, allow me to clarify. I'm not suggesting they re-route the main line. As much as I'd like that, it's a massive undertaking. I just meant the Alyth yards themselves, or part of the Alyth yards. I know at one time CP was using less than half of the all the rail sidings in the yards, and I believe a study was done finding that they could re-organizing the yards and it would allow them to sell off over 50% of that space. I don't know if the idea was to move the yards or not. i know CP would never sell that land unless they had a plan for yards to be re-located.

Move the CPR and keep the tracks, eliminating them would mean that we would likely never have the opportunity for commuter rail in metro Calgary. Whether that means a regional train or having something like Via back.

Some changes have been registered to spin. Anyone that wants to could probably find out. Change date of February 20th. Not officially sold yet.

8E71CA1D-F94A-4823-9FBF-30DE0BAF70DA.jpeg

Crane base ready at the university

Attachments

• 7520D570-11D6-4E2D-9508-D4E0199A7DFE.jpeg
    7520D570-11D6-4E2D-9508-D4E0199A7DFE.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 8E71CA1D-F94A-4823-9FBF-30DE0BAF70DA.jpeg
    8E71CA1D-F94A-4823-9FBF-30DE0BAF70DA.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 341
Good to see! with that and MoDA's BLK60, the Shag Station area could really start to densify over the next couple years :)

Reactions: AJX
Next week's CPC has a few items of note:
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Docume...ommission/agenda/2018/agenda-cpc-March-22.pdf

5.01 (page 29/300): RioCan in EV wants to have more flexibility for digital signage for their retail operations. Not really major, but might lead to some interesting digital signs. Some renderings starting on page 40.

5.02 (page 45/300): The city is replacing the old pedestrian bridge over Crowchild at 54th Ave SW. You know the one: https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0046...114.63268&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656
Looks like the new bridge will be located much closer to 54th Ave (and the bus loop there), and provide a better connection with the Atco Campus (and link into the Currie Green neighbourhood). renderings start on page 54.

5.03 (page 63/300): Graywood Development's land use for the Royal Bank site in Kensington. 32m height (per the ARP). No renderings, as it is just land use at this time.

5.07 (page 119/300): Some amendments to the Greenwich Village area north of COP, to help achieve the Mixed Use Village plan. Mostly just tweaks to lane use and policy but a master plan is shown on page 142.

5.08 (page 145/300): Grovesnor's two tower DP at 17th Ave and 4th Street SW. I thought this one had been on an previous agenda, but might be remembering wrong. Either way, here it is again. DP drawings start on page 165.

Good to see! with that and MoDA's BLK60, the Shag Station area could really start to densify over the next couple years :)
There is also the Casola Koppe DP, across the lane from MoDA's BLK60. The land use will be going to public hearing soon (went to CPC on Feb. 22, but no rendering shown), the DP is pending release, provided Council approves the land use redesignation (so technically not pending release until the council vote):

https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2017-2492

https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/LOC2017-0121

Good news. I like Sunnyside, but whatever they build there will be a better use than a garden centre.

Will it really? Sunnyside is a Calgary institution (a place with real history and and not just another chain store) that is used by Calgarians from all over. Yes, whatever replaces it will most likely be a denser use of land, but I doubt it will be anything remotely as utilized or interesting. Garden centers encourage all of us city dwellers to get our hands a little dirty, interact with our environment, and beautify our own spaces.

Unfortunately it does't sound like they plan to relocate, so to me this is big loss.

Will it really? Sunnyside is a Calgary institution (a place with real history and and not just another chain store) that is used by Calgarians from all over. Yes, whatever replaces it will most likely be a denser use of land, but I doubt it will be anything remotely as utilized or interesting. Garden centers encourage all of us city dwellers to get our hands a little dirty, interact with our environment, and beautify our own spaces.

Unfortunately it does't sound like they plan to relocate, so to me this is big loss.
If they were relocating I would say it's a better use of land, but yeah without the relocate it's a loss. It's too bad that there wasn't a garden centre in the core along one of these empty lots along the tracks.

Next week's CPC has a few items of note:
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Docume...ommission/agenda/2018/agenda-cpc-March-22.pdf

5.01 (page 29/300): RioCan in EV wants to have more flexibility for digital signage for their retail operations. Not really major, but might lead to some interesting digital signs. Some renderings starting on page 40.

5.02 (page 45/300): The city is replacing the old pedestrian bridge over Crowchild at 54th Ave SW. You know the one: https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0046916,-114.1181612,3a,75y,149.94h,90.36t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYfa79UDU84os8R7vWpP38g!2e0!6s//geo1.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=Yfa79UDU84os8R7vWpP38g&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=114.63268&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656
Looks like the new bridge will be located much closer to 54th Ave (and the bus loop there), and provide a better connection with the Atco Campus (and link into the Currie Green neighbourhood). renderings start on page 54.

5.03 (page 63/300): Graywood Development's land use for the Royal Bank site in Kensington. 32m height (per the ARP). No renderings, as it is just land use at this time.

5.07 (page 119/300): Some amendments to the Greenwich Village area north of COP, to help achieve the Mixed Use Village plan. Mostly just tweaks to lane use and policy but a master plan is shown on page 142.

5.08 (page 145/300): Grovesnor's two tower DP at 17th Ave and 4th Street SW. I thought this one had been on an previous agenda, but might be remembering wrong. Either way, here it is again. DP drawings start on page 165.

I hope they make the signage bigger on the East Village one. I think one thing Calgary really needs badly right now are big LED signages attached alongside buildings and im talking really massive ones. They can really light up the streets and give it an uplifting feel. Great example is Yonge street. It would really help cure some dark depressing areas of our downtown and give it a good modern/urban vibe. I think when they make the entertainment district concept they should really include big LED ad boards or even start placing them alongside 17th ave, it'll light up the whole street.

Looks to be in very early stages, but it appears as though Ronmor bought the parcel of land in the SW corner of 33rd and 22nd Street in Marda Loop, directly north of their Garrison Corner site:
http://new.ronmor.findspace.com/bui...i&show_no_vacancy=off&lang=en_CA#tab_fs-media

Says 3 storey building, 2 floors of retail and 1 floor of condos. A few sketches of the floor plans in the pdf found at the above link. Here is the parcel in question:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0239...4!1sprjDb2Duq1R76YaiLvK9aA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

So another project for Marda Loop! Still a ways out though. Given how well Odeon and Garrison Corner turned out, this will likely be another positive addition.

Back