News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

That SAIT Parkside spot will be s missed opportunity if they don't (a) take full advantage of the awesome view, (b) encourage more pedestrian travel between SAIT and Kensington/Riley Park, and (c) create something with character.

I recommend a cross between Cobh's Deck of Cards, SF's Lombard Street, Rome's Spanish Steps, the terraces of Macchu Picchu, and the University of Lethbridge.
It's going to be a parkade man, don't expect anything other than a place to put cars.

I definitely like it. It's the mirrored side that I'm not sold on. I'll have to see it in person to make a final judgement.

I definitely like it. It's the mirrored side that I'm not sold on. I'll have to see it in person to make a final judgement.
I like the mirrored side, will get more people stopping to check it out I think. Still think the glass and concrete clash on the podium of that building, very awkward with different sizing and proportions...

I like the mirrored thing. Hopefully it's not at any position that'll blind drivers at certain times. Mind you that corner is in shadow most of the time.

That SAIT Parkside spot will be s missed opportunity if they don't (a) take full advantage of the awesome view, (b) encourage more pedestrian travel between SAIT and Kensington/Riley Park, and (c) create something with character.

I recommend a cross between Cobh's Deck of Cards, SF's Lombard Street, Rome's Spanish Steps, the terraces of Macchu Picchu, and the University of Lethbridge.

Yes to that! I've always thought that the hill below the P1 parkade would make a great Spanish Steps style parthway. It has potential to be an amazing connection between SAIT and Kensington, and also a great public space. I've also thought something like that would be nice on McHugh Bluff too, but not very likely to happen.

It really is a lost opportunity for a more sophisticated connection and opening onto Riley Park and down into the neighbourhood. Truthfully though it's not something the majority of the students would likely care about, and as of now any area residents go up to McHugh Bluff for views. There's not much reason for many residents of the lower side to go up that part of the hill. I do hate the 14th St climb to events at the Jubilee. Perhaps it would be used regularly as a corridor down for Capitol Hill residents.

The idea of a Spanish Steps on McHugh Bluff I could get behind.

Todays update from Encana Place:

35332185814_c166b01f49_b.jpg

35778394760_441f4452ec_b.jpg

36129779586_32cf12762b_b.jpg

36129780126_789ce7ca38_b.jpg

35365205293_b8eeff8890_b.jpg

35332185304_2e8e915153_b.jpg

36129779736_3f2ff200fe_b.jpg

36003150032_c3113f3be4_b.jpg

I quite like that sculpture, Jill Anholt + Heavy Industries are killing it.

Aspen has done an excellent job with this building. It's probably the best re-positioning of a tired asset that we've seen in Calgary (at least in the office market). The property has been re-branded as The Edison, take a look at the leasing brochure. It will be interesting to watch the lease-up on this, I think they will be quite successful given the number of amenities they are jam packing into this thing. We can expect to see a much greater focus on office amenities in the coming years; for the first time in a long time we have a competitive office leasing market in Calgary.

I wonder if they have signed a tenant for the main floor restaurant space. The brochure advertises "locally curated food," but I haven't seen a leasing package for anything other than a coffee shop space on the main floor. I normally don't like corporate plazas, but this one is surrounded by some beautiful architecture and it can become a great public space with the right activation.

It's going to be a parkade man, don't expect anything other than a place to put cars.
They should basically cut it out at grade with 8th ave, put studio and living space above, make a new entrance to SAIT directly on Riley Park, and add a 10th St crossing at 8th Ave. There's another developer that wants to build a condo tower/old age home on 8th Ave NW. Maybe they should partner.

That building is such an amazing spot for resto with a patio that goes out onto the plaza.

Oh and welcome to the fold AV.
Aspen has done an excellent job with this building. It's probably the best re-positioning of a tired asset that we've seen in Calgary (at least in the office market). The property has been re-branded as The Edison, take a look at the leasing brochure. It will be interesting to watch the lease-up on this, I think they will be quite successful given the number of amenities they are jam packing into this thing. We can expect to see a much greater focus on office amenities in the coming years; for the first time in a long time we have a competitive office leasing market in Calgary.

I wonder if they have signed a tenant for the main floor restaurant space. The brochure advertises "locally curated food," but I haven't seen a leasing package for anything other than a coffee shop space on the main floor. I normally don't like corporate plazas, but this one is surrounded by some beautiful architecture and it can become a great public space with the right activation.

They should basically cut it out at grade with 8th ave, put studio and living space above, make a new entrance to SAIT directly on Riley Park, and add a 10th St crossing at 8th Ave. There's another developer that wants to build a condo tower/old age home on 8th Ave NW. Maybe they should partner.
That hill is quite high, putting a parkade in there would require a massive amount of money that I very much doubt SAIT has. I'd love for there to be a better connection between SAIT and Hillhurst, I just don't expect that to come from SAIT, maybe i they partner up with a developer like you said.

I guess the city probably owns the hill below SAIT, but maybe a deal could be worked out with developers to build something mixed use on the hill with a large pathway down the middle?
It really is a lost opportunity for a more sophisticated connection and opening onto Riley Park and down into the neighbourhood. Truthfully though it's not something the majority of the students would likely care about, and as of now any area residents go up to McHugh Bluff for views. There's not much reason for many residents of the lower side to go up that part of the hill. I do hate the 14th St climb to events at the Jubilee. Perhaps it would be used regularly as a corridor down for Capitol Hill residents.

The idea of a Spanish Steps on McHugh Bluff I could get behind.

A dog park? Take your dog to work?

I'm curious about the "new university coming soon"

A dog park? Take your dog to work?

I'm curious about the "new university coming soon"
It's been billed as a dog friendly building. I generally like the idea because I like dogs, but I'm not sure how that's going to work when it comes to doggie accidents or issues with dogs barking.

Back