News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

I like the non-cloned version considerably better. It's really nice to see another project bound for Brentwood either way.

Boardwalk REIT is getting into the development side of things to grow their inventory.
https://www.bwalk.com/en-CA/Investors/GetInvestorDocument/277

Starting on page 10 of that document, we see the next stage of the University City complex, but it is different. Looks like Boardwalk is partnering with RioCan for a rental apartment/retail space. I don't know how many of you remember seeing the older design from RioCan, which basically looked like a clone of the existing University City towers, except a purple colour. It looks like the design is now different.
View attachment 116521
Based on the description, this one looks to be the one that the DP is in for, and hopefully starting this fall:
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2016-5185

This differs from what RioCan shows in one of their presentations:
View attachment 116523
This image is from the following link, page 18/85:
http://riocan.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/development_book_2016

Boardwalk also looks to be adding to their site on Glamis Drive SW, as per page 116 of the above presentation. A DP has been submitted, but is too new to link directly to on the City's development map. Here is the rendering:
View attachment 116522
And the location:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0155084,-114.1624644,3a,75y,265.04h,91.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sw0uiwTobmzuBIlISru8DYQ!2e0!6s//geo3.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=w0uiwTobmzuBIlISru8DYQ&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=340.2721&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

The Brentwood TOD one looks real nice. The ones with the orange are unfortunate, but hey, more density in the suburbs... I guess?

Both are nasty. Please say this is just an exercise for Boardwalk.

Density will happen as long as the city continues to grow. Better urban design and prettier architecture promotes it while this garbage sets things backwards.

Both are nasty. Please say this is just an exercise for Boardwalk.

Density will happen as long as the city continues to grow. Better urban design and prettier architecture promotes it while this garbage sets things backwards.
That Brentwood one hits the right notes: seemingly good street-interaction, variety of height set-backs to let light through, concentrating density with the other towers so Brentwood moves another inch closer to something truly more urban. It's a good move and responds to the long-term strength of the University as an student, employment and activity hub.

The Westhills-area one - not so much. Effectively it is a car-oriented high-rise in a car-dependent corner of a car-dependent city. Sure, I guess it is better to have the 200 units in a high-density tower at the edge of the city than spread into low-density units a few kilometres farther out, but suburban towers like this will do little to challenge the overall problem with sprawl development.

That Brentwood one hits the right notes: seemingly good street-interaction, variety of height set-backs to let light through, concentrating density with the other towers so Brentwood moves another inch closer to something truly more urban. It's a good move and responds to the long-term strength of the University as an student, employment and activity hub.

The Westhills-area one - not so much. Effectively it is a car-oriented high-rise in a car-dependent corner of a car-dependent city. Sure, I guess it is better to have the 200 units in a high-density tower at the edge of the city than spread into low-density units a few kilometres farther out, but suburban towers like this will do little to challenge the overall problem with sprawl development.

The architectural design of Brentwood is where it fails. They took a straight forward, banal design and tried to dress it on the cheap. The framed boxes and colour palette are nasty. It even looks like the designer couldn't figure out how to maintain the framed box pattern through the odd penthouse set-back and gave up.

Last edited:
Some general construction photos for you today from the zoo.

Zoo bridge, best I could do from inside the zoo - coming along, but the road is still a ways off from being done:
New Zoo Bridge Construction IMG_2146 by ferreth, on Flickr

Panda construction. The old Africa building is being renovated for the Pandas. There are some new smaller buildings being constructed to the north.

Overall:
Panda Construction 7D2_2535 by ferreth, on Flickr

Looking North:
Panda Construction IMG_2152 by ferreth, on Flickr

I have christened the new zoo berm the "Gulag Wall". Hoping there is still some finishing to improve the look of these a bit:
Berm Construction IMG_2154 by ferreth, on Flickr

Berm Construction 7D2_2536 by ferreth, on Flickr

Zoo Gulag Fence 7D2_2545 by ferreth, on Flickr

New Lemur exhibit. Lemurs were outside, so I did not see inside the building, but the overall experience is very nice, as long as you don't mind the possibility that a Lemur will walk right up to you :)
Lemur Building 7D2_2498 by ferreth, on Flickr

If you want to see a bunch of other zoo photos, my Flickr account is updated.

I don't get the whole Panda sensation but, this will be a huge draw for the zoo.

I was just at the Zoo a few weeks ago with friends visiting from Vancouver and I was quite impressed. Can definitely see why it's rated as the best zoo in the country.

https://www.facebook.com/1812703952...270395220000/1120910194589344/?type=3&theater
2017-08-01 11.44.51.jpg
image1.JPG

Attachments

• 2017-08-01 11.44.51.jpg
    2017-08-01 11.44.51.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 459
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    991.7 KB · Views: 412

Back