News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

I've probably just been living under a rock or something, but I didn't know there was a new Blood Services Building under construction on Barlow. It is apparently capable of handling a quarter of of the national demand. That's pretty cool.

I had no idea either. 153K is a good sized building, I didn't see an address of where it's located. I see in the article NORR is working on an 880 bed student res project?

(Another NORR Calgary project is a new 880-bed residence for SAIT now currently in its design stage. The complex will include a 1,000-seat dining centre, space for community events and a 2,000-stall parkade)

I wonder if that's going to go in place of the one they demo'd ?

I had no idea either. 153K is a good sized building, I didn't see an address of where it's located. I see in the article NORR is working on an 880 bed student res project?

(Another NORR Calgary project is a new 880-bed residence for SAIT now currently in its design stage. The complex will include a 1,000-seat dining centre, space for community events and a 2,000-stall parkade)

I wonder if that's going to go in place of the one they demo'd ?

I really hope that the SAIT project attempts to actually integrate with 16th Avenue and 10th Street into a connected realm. Of course, I am not holding my breath - provincial institutions in this city have long paid next to no consideration of their urban context. a 2,000 stall parkade can be done tastefully or further propagate the self-fulfilling assumption that all people drive to campuses in this city.

One can dream though! 880 students located on the corner of 16th & 10th in a walkable, pedestrian-oriented set of buildings has a real chance of changing the vibe of 16th Avenue and forming a new node of urban life in Calgary. 880 students is a large enough drop in the bucket to contribute to some real vibrancy.

That large 2000 stall parkade could be the iceberg that sinks the project. Let's hope it's underground and the main level of the building ties into the street. Right across 10th there is an empty lot on the SE corner, which could potential be a nice little mixed use building that could compliment what SAIT does.

I really hope that the SAIT project attempts to actually integrate with 16th Avenue and 10th Street into a connected realm. Of course, I am not holding my breath - provincial institutions in this city have long paid next to no consideration of their urban context. a 2,000 stall parkade can be done tastefully or further propagate the self-fulfilling assumption that all people drive to campuses in this city.

One can dream though! 880 students located on the corner of 16th & 10th in a walkable, pedestrian-oriented set of buildings has a real chance of changing the vibe of 16th Avenue and forming a new node of urban life in Calgary. 880 students is a large enough drop in the bucket to contribute to some real vibrancy.

From Sait's last comprehensive institutional plan. http://www.sait.ca/about-sait/who-we-are/publications
Capturesait.PNG

West Part of Lot P1:
Capturesait2.PNG

Attachments

• Capturesait.PNG
    Capturesait.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 277
  • Capturesait2.PNG
    Capturesait2.PNG
    232.4 KB · Views: 294
P1 is the lot circled in red right? If so that land is so prime for just a parkade. Now if it is being done in conjunction with the res and conference space on top that could lead to something pretty cool.

It's a parkade right now, but yes, could also be more. The east part of P1 is a valuable location. At one time there were some kind of plans to build there, and have it continue down the hills part ways iirc. @darwink would probably remember better than I.

Went on a first date with a cool guy today, and as he's into architecture and stuff too, I took him around town and showed him a bunch of the awesome stuff UC and recently completed. Let me just say, people who aren't familiar with Calgary are super dang impressed when they really see the city outside of 17 Ave, the suburbs, and/or the airport :p Was really cute to see how in awe he was at the NMC.

We've got a pretty wicked city shaping up here I think :)

That SAIT Parkside spot will be s missed opportunity if they don't (a) take full advantage of the awesome view, (b) encourage more pedestrian travel between SAIT and Kensington/Riley Park, and (c) create something with character.

I recommend a cross between Cobh's Deck of Cards, SF's Lombard Street, Rome's Spanish Steps, the terraces of Macchu Picchu, and the University of Lethbridge.

Back