News   Apr 03, 2020
 5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

General Construction Updates

I like the idea of embracing the winter. Might as well, as we're stuck with in anyhow. I'd love to see some kind of extreme toboggan run set up on Mchugh Bluff, maybe for a week.

I fear that ICE will become a generic cold concrete area because of the tall buildings around it. Sunlight and human scale is so important IMO. I could be wrong and at least Calgary will get the chance to sit back and learn from any mistakes.

Assuming the arena goes on the parking lots north of the Stampede Grounds, Calgary will benefit from the successes of the nearby East Village, newly planned Green line, and the desire to develop some mixed use around the Stampede Grounds already.

Some massive potential there to encompass a new arena here.

Re: ICE

The plaza looks so much smaller in the construction photos. Anyways, the west side of the development originally was depict with a tall tower on a very large podium building. The new design shows a shorter fatter slab. This is a mistake. The slimmer profile provided more open sky. This makes it even more claustrophobic.

I have issues, concerns designing districts around a sports complex and, for Edmonton, this isn't just another district but the new heart of downtown. Edmonton has so much developable space. I would have preferred to see lower densities spread over a larger area. This development will fulfill demand for high rise housing and office space for a very long time.

Re: ICE

The plaza looks so much smaller in the construction photos. Anyways, the west side of the development originally was depict with a tall tower on a very large podium building. The new design shows a shorter fatter slab. This is a mistake. The slimmer profile provided more open sky. This makes it even more claustrophobic.

I have issues, concerns designing districts around a sports complex and, for Edmonton, this isn't just another district but the new heart of downtown. Edmonton has so much developable space. I would have preferred to see lower densities spread over a larger area. This development will fulfill demand for high rise housing and office space for a very long time.
The thing about Edmonton is there were so many stalled, failed or bait and switch plans over the years that nothing ever really happened. I think ICE district is exactly what they needed to kickstart the revitalization of their downtown.

The thing about Edmonton is there were so many stalled, failed or bait and switch plans over the years that nothing ever really happened. I think ICE district is exactly what they needed to kickstart the revitalization of their downtown.
ICE is an improvement over what's there now for sure. I think it could have been done better, but given the need for some improvement downtown, they were anxious to get something going.

I hope you're right. My concern is the Ice District is concentrated in a couple blocks and contains an incredible amount of rentable space that will take many years to fill. It would have been better to spread it around and also to have more of a buffer between the residential and the commercial square. This is based on observation. Edmontonians are not really used to living beside bright lights and loud event spaces. It could be a difficult introduction once the novelty wears thin.

I think just the ~1500 residents alone that the ICE District will bring to Downtown Edmonton will help get things jumpstarted in a big way. Not to mention the 19 000 already in Oliver just a couple blocks away.

I think just the ~1500 residents alone that the ICE District will bring to Downtown Edmonton will help get things jumpstarted in a big way. Not to mention the 19 000 already in Oliver just a couple blocks away.

That's more of a build it and they will come methodology than one of supply and demand. I doesn't really respond to my concerns of the ICE District satisfying demand for years to come in a small, condensed footprint of downtown Edmonton. I enjoy the built form of the built out areas of downtown Edmonton. There's just so little of it.

First post. I'm coming over from that other Calgary construction forum some of you are familiar with, that has gone way beyond down hill. I've skimmed through the 49 pages first to get a lay of the land here and I'm pleased by how on topic you all keep here. Also recognize a few usernames or avatars from the past.

I saw some comments in my skimming of a rental named Underwood possibly starting construction this year. Anyone able to fill me in on which property this is slated for? Going to guess Union Square II.

Back