News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.1K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

General Construction Updates

Great Gulf's "original" DP was actually for the parcel on the north side of 4th Ave, across the street from the YWCA. As far as I understand it, that project is the same and still proceeding (albeit slower than anticipated). The YWCA site is an entirely different project. This is the one you are thinking of:
http://calgaryherald.com/business/r...build-two-tower-condo-project-in-east-village

I didn't realize YWCA had submitted an application for their new site. Good to see, that will help provide a bit more of an anchor to that end of Inglewood.

There are two projects in play by Great Gulf, one is across 4th ave on the east side of Harry Hayes which a parking lot st the moment . You created a thread for that one.

Edit: I see this was already answered by MichaelS

I hope Great Gulf keeps the same design as they had on the original DP. YWCA has submitted a permit of their own for this parcel in Inglewood.
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2017-0327
They are looking to building a 5 storey 100 unit building on the parcel.

Im not a fan of the Ice District design. It's modelled after LA Live which I didn't find all that impressive to be honest, but at least LA Live is more human scaled and in a warm sunny climate so it manages to work.
Ice has too many large buildings, and the fact that it's winter 7 months of the year isn't going to help.

I pray that Calgary doesn't try to do the same, and with Calgary's arena coming later hopefully they see the mistake of the Ice design and try for something like Wrigleyville or the around around San Diego's stadium

Low rise buildings, yes please. Great minds think alike. I mentioned this a minute a go in the Verve thread :)

Speaking of low rise buildings, what do you guys think of Edmonton's ICE district? When I first saw the plans I thought it was great, but now I'm having second thoughts. I'm not sure it'll make a great public space with all that glass and steel looming over everything.

Really like the location of the new Y ... Especially on such a unique parcel - it will be a nice amenity to compliment the mixed use buildings going up along 9th.

Im not a fan of the Ice District design. It's modelled after LA Live which I didn't find all that impressive to be honest, but at least LA Live is more human scaled and in a warm sunny climate so it manages to work.
Ice has too many large buildings, and the fact that it's winter 7 months of the year isn't going to help.

I pray that Calgary doesn't try to do the same, and with Calgary's arena coming later hopefully they see the mistake of the Ice design and try for something like Wrigleyville or the around around San Diego's stadium

I imagine the new Flames arena area will be better designed. The ICE district is right in the core while the likely new location of the Flames rink (on the parking lots north of the Stampede grounds) could help be apart of small scale development akin to the East Village rather than the really tall buildings in the central business district. And if the Stampede board ever get themselves together to develop a retail corridor in that area, that will only help the new arena location.

Great Gulf's "original" DP was actually for the parcel on the north side of 4th Ave, across the street from the YWCA. As far as I understand it, that project is the same and still proceeding (albeit slower than anticipated). The YWCA site is an entirely different project. This is the one you are thinking of:
http://calgaryherald.com/business/r...build-two-tower-condo-project-in-east-village

I didn't realize YWCA had submitted an application for their new site. Good to see, that will help provide a bit more of an anchor to that end of Inglewood.
Ah yes, forgot about there being two Great gulf sites. Good to see they are still working on the YMCA site.

Off topic question. How often does Google earth update their streetview/satellite images? I was on yesterday and the satellite images still have City Center Tower in Eau Clare halfway under construction. Would love to see some current up to date images.

Off topic question. How often does Google earth update their streetview/satellite images? I was on yesterday and the satellite images still have City Center Tower in Eau Clare halfway under construction. Would love to see some current up to date images.
It varies from one part of the city to another. I noticed the other day some part of Calgary that Streetview had updated May 2016.

Chinook centre pedestrian bridge (across MacLeod Trail)

C60G7DmU8AE6DWk.jpg
C60G7ELUwAArWKI.jpg
C60G7EXVwAAiNBW.jpg

From @Ward9Tweets

Attachments

• C60G7DmU8AE6DWk.jpg
    C60G7DmU8AE6DWk.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 240
  • C60G7ELUwAArWKI.jpg
    C60G7ELUwAArWKI.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 236
  • C60G7EXVwAAiNBW.jpg
    C60G7EXVwAAiNBW.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 213

I agree that the ICE district is a mistake, it won't be a major fail, but will be a blown opportunity. It's not going to be a great public space with the way it's designed, I hope Calgary goes with other examples like the San Diego stadium area. It sucks that they are taking so long to get the new arena going, but one benefit will be learning from the failures of the ICE district.

Yeah, I dunno, I think the plaza of the ICE District looks pretty cool, and the surrounding retail will be pretty busy. I don't really see why you guys think it will be such a failure, other than that it is so non-human scaled.

Yeah, I dunno, I think the plaza of the ICE District looks pretty cool, and the surrounding retail will be pretty busy. I don't really see why you guys think it will be such a failure, other than that it is so non-human scaled.

The non-human part is the main issue IMO. All stadium/arena districts struggle to be good public spaces even with low-rise buildings, and these buildings are large and sterile looking.

I agree with you that the plaza looks good in the rendering, but in the rendering it's a nice sunny day with ton loads of people and lots of vibrancy. It won't be like that most of the time, it will only be that busy in the summer when there's a concert. Busy in the winter shortly before games and shortly games, but people won't hang out in the plaza. During the winter when there isn't a game it'll be a dead zone.

It won't be a fail, because it's better than what's there now, but some of my friends in Edmonton make it sound like it's the second coming of Jesus. I think they'll be disappointed.

I think ICE district's success will be dependent on what kind of retail and dining go into the plaza. If it's boring generic stuff, then it will be a fail, if they get some good pubs some decent shopping opportunities and something to bring people in on non game nights, then it will be a success. Cities like Edmonton have the right idea by trying to embrace their winter climate, it's a shame if people just hide inside for half the year.

Back