News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.4K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4.3K     0 

General Construction Updates

The addition to the Eau Claire Lumber building are public washrooms to replace the old ones that used to be located at the splash park that was there previously. I was hoping the building would have been relocated to be a little closer to the lagoon so that any patio would have a nice view of the water but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Looks like the washrooms are to be located where we all hoped the Lumber Building was going to be relocated. Maybe the expansion is for something to do with the restaurant then.

Also, the wood pillars do appear to support glass awnings.

78B7D228-5140-4A80-B7DD-869B1C4BF592.jpeg
C528B249-F11B-4FC4-9134-7818B1E5A5EE.jpeg
A9DFCC67-5767-41C4-B4D8-F8E221629071.jpeg

The Riddell Kurczaba building at 1st and 11th is fenced off with a tent around the open air covered parking. Maybe movement on that tower too. Can’t find the thread though…

89E138AF-9619-4CF5-8541-BA669B59D85F.jpeg

DP still listed as under review. They must have confidence of approval if they are fencing things off. Don't see anything for a demolition permit though...

would be great if the script was flipped and some prime lots became coveted for development suddenly. the lots between 4th and 1st street on 10th avenue for example.

cant see how that glass cover in the plaza is going to end well
For canopies, I am increasingly interested in designs that protect from heat and the sun, not just rain and snow like glass canopies.

This one appears more of an architectural flourish than anything overly useful for rain protection so not a big deal either way, but I think Calgary historically has over-estimated the importance of maintaining sun exposure for outdoor amenities, instead of balancing the needs for sun in winter and the needs for shade in summer. We need to get way more serious about providing meaningful shade and trees in our designs.

Not really an ongoing development. But the Youth Mental Health and Addictions Services building in Hillhurst turned out lovely. Just had the opportunity to spruce up the grounds there today, trying to convince my bosses to vie for the full landscaping contract there. They’re also upgrading the original building. Full new facade, landscaping, and hardscaping, even including a mini wetland area currently UC.

309F4768-AA6A-467C-B289-3B675FD4D7B8.jpeg

12577158-675E-404E-8D3E-AB44E66ED371.jpeg

There's also a nice park with a focus on mental health on the North side. Being a bit hidden and not crowded I think is great for those that need it.

https://www.parksfdn.com/brawn
Not really an ongoing development. But the Youth Mental Health and Addictions Services building in Hillhurst turned out lovely. Just had the opportunity to spruce up the grounds there today, trying to convince my bosses to vie for the full landscaping contract there. They’re also upgrading the original building. Full new facade, landscaping, and hardscaping, even including a mini wetland area currently UC.

View attachment 590382
View attachment 590383

The former M-Tech building on MacLeod and 14ave is fenced off and they are digging up the parking lot, anyone know what this is about? Want to say I heard something about it on here, but can't quite recall...

Eau Claire plaza looks great, still don't see why this wasn't like 2 months of work instead of 2+ years!

The former M-Tech building on MacLeod and 14ave is fenced off and they are digging up the parking lot, anyone know what this is about? Want to say I heard something about it on here, but can't quite recall...

Eau Claire plaza looks great, still don't see why this wasn't like 2 months of work instead of 2+ years!
Here?
1724705088552.png

Back