News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Can anyone that knows something about power generation weigh in on something for me?
1) Is nuclear just too costly to build? It seems like a major investment in nuclear power generation could probably phase out coal in the short to medium term, but i don't know why it isn't a focus.
2) I keep hearing from more Conservative folks that our electrical grid would need major upgrades to support EV charging in a larger amount of households. Does anyone know if this is true and what the issue is?
1). It's not admitted often, but the primary reason is because people who don't know anything about nuclear are scared of nuclear. Specifically, people recall events like Chernobyl and Fukushima that are largely irrelevant with modern fission technology. High Capital Cost is the accidental red herring.

Compact Fusion Reactors are by far the most promising, but technology is more than decade away with current levels of investment. If you're curious, it involves heating a few atoms of a hydrogen isotope to ~100 million degrees while suspended in a magnetic chamber. At about the size of delivery truck, it'd mean a functionally limitless energy source with zero emissions. Chances of a meltdown would be the metaphorical equivalent of tossing a box of Lego down some stairs and finding the set assembled at the bottom. It's the most complex feat of research that's ever been undertaken, and this happened earlier this year: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00408-1

2). Idk
As far as the statement from Blanchet goes, it's funny, but also not very realistic, and just more of the same divisive politics we need to get away from. His province has been an indirect beneficiary of Alberta's oils sands for decades. A large portion of the carbon emissions from Alberta goes toward the Oil Sands extraction, which isn't just for Alberta.
Not directing this at you Surreal, but anyone weighing in on this debate needs to understand the full implications of these two things together:
1636691181123.png

Last edited:
It was my building. Alarms didn’t even go off, didn’t even know it had happened til it was over. Really glad my dog and I are 15 floors up and on the opposite side and opposite end of the building. It was First on Tenth, not UpTen.

Everything/everyone is fine, except the one unit. The surrounding units are livable already. The benefits of an old school fully concrete bunker tower. This thing could survive a 100 kiloton nuke over the city easy peasy. Bring it on Russia. 😎

1). It's not admitted often, but the primary reason is because people who don't know anything about nuclear are scared of nuclear. Specifically, people recall events like Chernobyl and Fukushima that are largely irrelevant with modern fission technology. High Capital Cost is the accidental red herring.

Compact Fusion Reactors are by far the most promising, but technology is more than decade away with current levels of investment. If you're curious, it involves heating a few atoms of a hydrogen isotope to ~100 million degrees while suspended in a magnetic chamber. At about the size of delivery truck, it'd mean a functionally limitless energy source with zero emissions. Chances of a meltdown would be the metaphorical equivalent of tossing a box of Lego down some stairs and finding the set assembled at the bottom. It's the most complex feat of research that's ever been undertaken, and this happened earlier this year: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00408-1
Relevant article on the nuclear discussion. I agree with the article that regulatory changes in Canada are necessary to ensure that modular reactors are not treated the same way as full scale nuclear. I also agree with the article that the liberals need to do more to signal support for nuclear. It’s one thing to say that you’re going to let the market decide, as our new Environment Minister so bluntly puts it, but the market needs reassurance that the government isn’t going to move the regulatory goal posts when significant years, time, and resources are spent attempting to permit these new facilities. I’m not sure what our new Environment Minister’s views are on nuclear, but I’d wager they’re not supportive.

Relevant article on the nuclear discussion. I agree with the article that regulatory changes in Canada are necessary to ensure that modular reactors are not treated the same way as full scale nuclear. I also agree with the article that the liberals need to do more to signal support for nuclear.
I agree that our governments need to do more to invest in nuclear. And while I appreciate new and relevant articles on the subject, Post is an abysmal group of publications.

I agree that our governments need to do more to invest in nuclear. And while I appreciate new and relevant articles on the subject, Post is an abysmal group of publications.
You’re free to your opinion obviously. I prefer the Globe, and the Post definitely includes some opinion columns from some conservative dinosaurs, but there’s no opinion provided by the author in this article. They simply reported on things our Environment Minister said, and some things that other experts with relevant views said. I prefer not to dismiss something simply because it’s in one publication or another. Do I agree with much that‘s written in the Sun? No. But I still read the articles from time-to-time on certain topics to get a pulse on what the other half thinks, and occasionally, I’ll find cogent arguments on the other side that I hadn’t considered.

Also, confirmed that Guilbeault holds (or at least held) anti-nuclear views. Article from the left-leaning Toronto Star just for you @MissingMiddle ! 😁

The Riverwalk upgrades…

9EE51AA1-A0A2-4F52-BB92-E3AD96421B76.jpeg
6BFD900D-E230-4B7C-8DB1-2CF792EC2478.jpeg

The Centre Street Bridge access upgrades…

8E32CB9B-B806-4FD2-BAE9-D59AD3B6E0F0.jpeg
59E481C9-DE1C-4FF5-8569-2B4FD8ADEB28.jpeg

Inglewood Bridge construction speeding up…

5F09EF1A-DDB5-4C39-99BE-A13AB4C2312F.jpeg
AA8EAD4D-7739-4562-95DC-A0F45C7A9EAF.jpeg

CBE site nearly gutted…

849FE123-7129-4FFC-9C2A-B8BCBE52DDE8.jpeg

And the piece de resistance 👌🏼 The Northwest Travellers Building upgrades for patio/retail space on the south face…

D9468663-4159-4C7F-9F75-06C34AFD5F03.jpeg

Alberta is one of four provinces participating in the Small Modular Reactor development program. We’re almost definitely on our way to nuclear.

Back