News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Eau Claire Plaza from the mech level of Waterfront...

F7DEF05A-DC1C-45C1-9626-962CFD110277.jpeg

1st ave ne in bridgeland

View attachment 321666
Glad to see this run down side of the stretch gone... I used to attend the church across from it before it was sold to Baptists and I'm sure that it'll get developed soon too. But great to see such an improvement to the public realm!!

So 160 trees cut down and 110 replanted? Not good enough and actually pisses me off. This city already lacks a good tree canopy and we go ahead and chop down 160 mature trees so we can repave a section of Eau Clare? Don’t get me wrong, this plaza can use some upgrades but can’t they work around most of the trees? At minimum they should be replanting 200 trees. We all know of the 110 they replant, we will be lucky if 25 survive last three years.

I agree, but the nature of the plaza spaces may be what has caused a fewer number of trees maybe? The space is being reconfigured to be much more useful throughout, rather than just like… groves. So that could be it. Not a great excuse though, you're right they should be replanting 200 trees. The plaza is relatively sheltered from the harsh west winds too so most species would do pretty well. I'd love to see evergreens only on the periphery, with stuff like Crab Apples, Ohio Buckeye, Japanese Lilac, and other flowering trees lining the interior spaces, with various maples, poplars, and elms interspersed for a taller canopy. Basically everything that leafs out early and drops leaves latest.

Last edited:
So 160 trees cut down and 110 replanted? Not good enough and actually pisses me off. This city already lacks a good tree canopy and we go ahead and chop down 160 mature trees so we can repave a section of Eau Clare? Don’t get me wrong, this plaza can use some upgrades but can’t they work around most of the trees? At minimum they should be replanting 200 trees. We all know of the 110 they replant, we will be lucky if 25 survive last three years.
A problem is that for flood protection earthworks you cannot put trees in close proximity. They have the tendency to topple over and breach the works during floods. Also with the moving of 1886 - a space where trees were now has a building. Plus CPTED fixing.

The trees will survive. The City has a staffed compound on the park and any trees especially young ones will have very frequent supervision and maintenance.

Fine, if they only have room for 110 trees in the new plaza because of a new configuration, than 90 additional trees should be dispersed throughout Prince’s Island and along the river both east and west (especially East as the river walk is devoid of trees for the most part). I don’t find it acceptable that they are replacing less than what they cut down.
Also, why is this moving at a snails pace? That plaza should be completely levelled by now.

You are probably right! I’m disappointed in the whole Eau Claire area. I really liked that dense area of trees right where Eau Claire plaza meets the bridge and pathway. Had a Central Park type feel. I think it just needed some new pavement to match the west river walk, redo the wading pool and bathroom hut, new bridge, and fix up the access to the lagoon. I do like the old saw mill building being moved along the path.
Instead here comes another cold wind swept plaza and patch of dead trampled grass. Yay.....

Fine, if they only have room for 110 trees in the new plaza because of a new configuration, than 90 additional trees should be dispersed throughout Prince’s Island and along the river both east and west (especially East as the river walk is devoid of trees for the most part). I don’t find it acceptable that they are replacing less than what they cut down.
Also, why is this moving at a snails pace? That plaza should be completely levelled by now.
The riverwalk to the east is also being redone. All of the landscaping is being torn out and the beds will be raised a meter for extra flood protection. A good opportunity for trees to be planted though, but it will most likely be indigenous shrubs and grasses.

Back