News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 867     0 

General Construction Updates

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
^^^ Yaaaaas! That is the thinking we need!

Tarsus

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m down with the tunnel.

Tunnel Bow Trail and restore pedestrian scale connections between Rosscarrock and Wildwood. Reclaim the road setbacks for neighborhood amenities.

Or if you want to live in the burbs, then sorry, us inner city folk are tired of carving out our neighbourhoods for you to cut through quicker.

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
Bow Trail between 33rd and Sarcee carries less traffic than 14th Street NW, similar to Memorial/Parkdale all the way from Sarcee to Crowchild. Taking it down to 2 lanes each way without frontage roads would be fine, without any offsetting traffic lanes (though I would concede that the Bow/Sarcee interchange would help a lot, though we should probably wait until the ring road is fully open to see what the turning movement requirement is at that intersection long term).
1599150931836.png

Attachments

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
Interesting, I always assumed Bow was much busier than that. I take Bowness / Memorial when I drive and it's slow and frustrating at times, but not really bad at all.

Ubran Outdoorsman

Member Bio
Reaction score
I often commute through the bowtrail/sarcee intersection. Wow is it ever aweful. Sometimes it will take me 4 lights to turn south onto sacree going east of bow trail. An interchange here would be great.

But then again, I imagine once the ring road is finished there will be a significant shift in trafic parterns in the SW seeing as sarcee is really the only connection between the sw and nw

FCC1982

Member Bio
Reaction score
You have former city councillor Craig Burrows to thank for the lack of an interchange at Sarcee & Bow Tr.
The City wanted to build one when they did the interchange at 17th Ave. & Sarcee for the LRT west line. Burrows (councillor for the area) thought both interchanges under construction at the same time was too much . . . Idiot.

CBBarnett

Member Bio
Reaction score
Interesting, I always assumed Bow was much busier than that. I take Bowness / Memorial when I drive and it's slow and frustrating at times, but not really bad at all.
I think it's because it's so peak-oriented, wider, high speed and (anecdotally) fully of big/bulky/expensive cars heading up the hill (one of the most wealthy areas in Canada) that it gives off the impression it's busier than it actually is.

Bow Trail is a classic death-by-1000-cuts scenario. As the road speeds creep up, the quality next to the road gets worse, demanding intervention (e.g. sound walls), making the road faster feeling, speeds go up, triggering another set of interventions (green wave timing, turning lanes, extra lanes etc.) pushing the speeds faster and faster. Because it's faster and busier we need big expensive and circuitous pedestrian bridges because at grade crossings are removed. Each intervention made some sense given the conditions at the time and in isolation, but together over time these choices add up to community decline around the route and louder and louder comments to "just freeway the whole thing because it's practically one anyway."

I want the process to push us in the reverse direction. Safety and speed concerns are met with reduced speeds/lane widths, more controls, better pedestrian infrastructure and ultimately road reductions when lifecycle rebuilds occur. Stop making everything bigger and faster forever so we can add value to a property in Springbank by improving peripheral accessibility, start adding the value back into the properties nearby the road. We are getting much better at this type of thinking overall, however our suburban arterials have yet to be challenged and that's where the real fight will be.

Perhaps Bow Trail isn't the best example of this - but Marda Loop's 33 Avenue could have easily gone the same route of continual expansion and highway-ification. You can see a few sections where 33rd / Richmond was starting to transition like this with split boulevards, higher speeds, sound walls etc. Fortunately it didn't get too disruptive and now the areas is evolving into one of the better urban nodes outside the immediate core with hundreds of million of property investment in the past decades.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score