News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.6K     0 

General Construction Updates

Note the poor quality of the finished concrete surfaces in 6th and 10th though. Finished concrete is supposed to be more polished and "nice to the touch", not like this where it would scratch you.
The interior exposed concrete is my major dislike looking at pics.

I would go with the Royal for the Beltline. Anything in Kensington (Hillhurst/Sunnyside), Bridgeland or Mission would be a great location for your situation and demographic. There are some good places in those neighborhoods, though not all are concrete. A friend of mine looked at suites in Lido and Ven (both Sunnyside) and was really impressed.
Hello, new member here. I’ve been reading about many of the new buildings on this forum. Lots of good information, thank you. I am traveling to Calgary in a week to look at buying a new build or will be built condo and would welcome any suggestions I might have missed. Beltline/Downtown/Kensington possibly EV. I don’t know any of these areas well as I’m not from Calgary. 650-800 sq ft and easy walk to amenities and transportation. Mid age women with a cat, so not interested in party central or really sketchy areas. Need a usable balcony and secure parking. Concrete building preferably but not absolute.
My view list so far is

The Royal
Park Point
The Theodore ( not built yet )

Any suggestions appreciated, thank you.

I would go with the Royal for the Beltline. Anything in Kensington (Hillhurst/Sunnyside), Bridgeland or Mission would be a great location for your situation and demographic. There are some good places in those neighborhoods, though not all are concrete. A friend of mine looked at suites in Lido and Ven (both Sunnyside) and was really impressed.
I wasn’t aware of Ven, thank you.

Hello, new member here. I’ve been reading about many of the new buildings on this forum. Lots of good information, thank you. I am traveling to Calgary in a week to look at buying a new build or will be built condo and would welcome any suggestions I might have missed. Beltline/Downtown/Kensington possibly EV. I don’t know any of these areas well as I’m not from Calgary. 650-800 sq ft and easy walk to amenities and transportation. Mid age women with a cat, so not interested in party central or really sketchy areas. Need a usable balcony and secure parking. Concrete building preferably but not absolute.
My view list so far is

The Royal
Park Point
The Theodore ( not built yet )

Any suggestions appreciated, thank you.

Hi Sky of Blue. I would suggest in terms of safety, The Royal is your best bet. The area around is quite active and with the Urban Fare and Canadian Tire, there will be quite a bit more security and surveillance around. There are a few bars nearby, but this area of 17th is actually pretty laid back. Lots of good restaurants and shops nearby, plus great nearby parks.

Hi Sky of Blue. I would suggest in terms of safety, The Royal is your best bet. The area around is quite active and with the Urban Fare and Canadian Tire, there will be quite a bit more security and surveillance around. There are a few bars nearby, but this area of 17th is actually pretty laid back. Lots of good restaurants and shops nearby, plus great nearby parks.
Everything I’ve heard about the Royal and from what I can see online, it’s my top pick at this point. I won’t really know until I see the actual areas, as I’m not that familiar with Calgary. I have high hopes for this one!

Everything I’ve heard about the Royal and from what I can see online, it’s my top pick at this point. I won’t really know until I see the actual areas, as I’m not that familiar with Calgary. I have high hopes for this one!
The royal would be my choice as well, with Park Point a second. There's another building called Calla which is in a good solid location. I suppose you could also check out the Montana as well. Arguably the best location in the Beltline, and easily the best for retail/resto/shopping options. As @retrofiturbanism mentioned, it's a very safe and clean area.

The royal would be my choice as well. Arguably the best location in the Beltline, and easily the best for retail/resto/shopping options. As @retrofiturbanism mentioned, it's a very safe and clean area.
Safety IS important to me. As women go, I am tiny. I do understand and accept that core city living is not going to be as safe as a sleepy suburb. Secure parking and a secure building is a must have. I’m not particularly scared about living in a big city, and I do intend to be very much out and about and active. I do want a neighborhood I can live in, not hide.

The additional benefit of living in Royal is that a few of the larger stores nearby (Best Buy, Canadian Tire, Mount Royal Village) have security that do patrols at night, so its pretty safe. Depends on where you are coming from, but Calgary in general is a lot safer than most anywhere, US especially.

The Royal is the total package. Best place to be car free, and best access to pubs, cafes and restaurants. Also a good safe area. Montana and Emerald Stone are other towers that are right nearby in the same area.

As a general rule anywhere around Calgary’s core is safe, but the area around the Royal is very safe. It’s busy all the time.
Safety IS important to me. As women go, I am tiny. I do understand and accept that core city living is not going to be as safe as a sleepy suburb. Secure parking and a secure building is a must have. I’m not particularly scared about living in a big city, and I do intend to be very much out and about and active. I do want a neighborhood I can live in, not hide.

awful picture of the development east of COP

377936A4-18EB-48C8-974F-25168B10E46D.jpeg

Most community meetings are like that. You can't believe some of the comments people make.
The one guy who seemed to support it made it sound like this one was transitional or low income rental.

The community meeting was textbook nimbyism. Complaints about this project included:
-more traffic and parking problems. (multiple complaints about this issue, and actually caused me to chuckle openly)
-worsening the issue of public drunkenness (a couple of people brought that up....I remember asking myself, is this really happening?)
-noise was brought up as an issue
-complaint that Hillhurst/Sunnyside already has a higher per capita amount of subsidized housing compared to other neighborhoods.
-good old fashioned land values dropping

All other proposal drew some complaints, but this little development easily drew the most complaints.

Back