News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 581     0 

General Construction Updates

retrofiturbanism

Member Bio
Reaction score
The additional benefit of living in Royal is that a few of the larger stores nearby (Best Buy, Canadian Tire, Mount Royal Village) have security that do patrols at night, so its pretty safe. Depends on where you are coming from, but Calgary in general is a lot safer than most anywhere, US especially.

Cowtown

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Royal is the total package. Best place to be car free, and best access to pubs, cafes and restaurants. Also a good safe area. Montana and Emerald Stone are other towers that are right nearby in the same area.

As a general rule anywhere around Calgary’s core is safe, but the area around the Royal is very safe. It’s busy all the time.
Safety IS important to me. As women go, I am tiny. I do understand and accept that core city living is not going to be as safe as a sleepy suburb. Secure parking and a secure building is a must have. I’m not particularly scared about living in a big city, and I do intend to be very much out and about and active. I do want a neighborhood I can live in, not hide.

Patrick.1980

Member Bio
Reaction score
Most community meetings are like that. You can't believe some of the comments people make.
The one guy who seemed to support it made it sound like this one was transitional or low income rental.

The community meeting was textbook nimbyism. Complaints about this project included:
-more traffic and parking problems. (multiple complaints about this issue, and actually caused me to chuckle openly)
-worsening the issue of public drunkenness (a couple of people brought that up....I remember asking myself, is this really happening?)
-noise was brought up as an issue
-complaint that Hillhurst/Sunnyside already has a higher per capita amount of subsidized housing compared to other neighborhoods.
-good old fashioned land values dropping

All other proposal drew some complaints, but this little development easily drew the most complaints.

Urb

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone know what’s happening at the corner of 24th Avenue and 5th Street SW? They are demoing a small building and 2 houses right now.

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought we had a thread for this already but I could not find it.
This project is moving forward finally. After two years of selling, they must have hit their minimum for financing.
Lear Construction is the G.C.

Beltline_B

Member Bio
Reaction score
Good to hear. Design isn’t great, but it’ll be nice to have that fenced off area developed finally.
I thought we had a thread for this already but I could not find it.
This project is moving forward finally. After two years of selling, they must have hit their minimum for financing.
Lear Construction is the G.C.