News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.1K     0 

General Construction Updates

John Wick

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but the small city parking lot on 14st NW (south of the car wash) has been closed and torn up. This is to make way for a 4-5 storey affordable housing project. It looks like a pretty forgettable building but better than a parking lot I guess.
I really don’t know if 14th street will ever improve much. Perhaps when the project on the National Transmission site gets going.

Member Bio
Reaction score
dont even think this is ironic

three levels of government putting their big brains together to make things worse while trying to make things better

E38B2638-B1AB-4D6B-B298-F54844AEFCFD.jpeg

three for lease signs on what should be one of the best intersections in the city and lululemon is moving as well, a block west two of four corners are basically wastelands. yeesh!

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
dont even think this is ironic

three levels of government putting their big brains together to make things worse while trying to make things better

View attachment 191132

three for lease signs on what should be one of the best intersections in the city and lululemon is moving as well, a block west two of four corners are basically wastelands. yeesh!
How the hell is there an asphalt curb and sidewalk there already, they just renovated this stretch of 17th!!!

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Do we know what this project is?

410 - 6 St SW
DP2019-1631
2 buildings ranging in height from 44 to 55 storeys (up to 286 metres)
823 units total

This is what we've seen so far. There are some other renderings as around also. Looks like they've drop a tower.
Ah yes, looks like there has been an update based on their latest April 2018 Investor Presentation:
https://killamreit.com/sites/default/files/Killam April 2018 Final_1.pdf

Page 29 of the above document:
View attachment 144018

Social Justice

Member Bio
Reaction score
How the hell is there an asphalt curb and sidewalk there already, they just renovated this stretch of 17th!!!

I'm pretty underwhelmed with the way the 17th Ave reno's have gone so far.

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but the small city parking lot on 14st NW (south of the car wash) has been closed and torn up. This is to make way for a 4-5 storey affordable housing project. It looks like a pretty forgettable building but better than a parking lot I guess.
I really don’t know if 14th street will ever improve much. Perhaps when the project on the National Transmission site gets going.

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Nothing fancy, but good scale, and good to see more affordable housing in the inner city. There was a lot of nimby opposition to this one, glad to see it going ahead.

BrandedBlue

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think they've finished the concrete works at 4th and 17th yet (you can see the asphalt curb on both sides of 4th St.) They put temporary asphalt curbs and sidewalk in after completing the utility work, but they've been going back and doing the concrete curbs and sidewalks in the following season. Most of the changes I've noticed are accessibility related:
- Double wheelchair ramps at each corner with the yellow tactile indicators for vision impaired users
- Countdown timers on all of the pedestrian signals
- Removal/relocation of overhead poles, signs, and other obstacles to give people a more consistent sidewalk width

I'd expect that most of the budget went to the utility replacement and re-paving. I can only imagine what they found once they opened up the road (100 year old utilities, groundwater, undocumented service pipes etc.)

BrandedBlue

Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought the renovations were supposed to be more substantial...
Yeah looks like other than some additional "pageantry lighting" at the major intersections (4th, 5th, 8th, 14th) and a few new benches, most of the above-ground work is replacing/repairing what was there before.

I would've liked to see some extended patios for the restaurants into the parking lanes, or even a full closure to traffic (between 8th or 9th and 4th St.) on a few summer weekends. There seems to be a lot of focus on keeping 17th Ave as a major east/west traffic corridor.

John Wick

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think the 14th project is actually for homeless rather than affordable housing. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me will clarify. Build that near a lot of rich single family homes and NIMBY opposition is inevitable regardless how small it may be.