News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

The one business that was to go into Roger's in the Ice District was eliminated due to cost during value engineering. Important to make sure the city/CMLC will approach discussions from the city building perspective, and also hopefully design the event centre so it can be more permanent like Seattle's or Madison Square garden (granted, they both got or are getting renovations that are equal to a new build in cost). But if we have a good location, I want to stick with it as much as possible.

I hope this is a joke by CMLC. I find a design like that seriously underwhelming. Even though the saddle dome is outdated now, it made an integral part of our skyline for so long. I really hope CMLC doesn't screw this up.
I was reading Calgarys Economic Development "New Economy" report from this week and Calgary was declining in student population relative to the Canadian average. In addition Calgary had the highest rate of migration of young professionals and students migrating to other cities. A strong factor in this was they were seeking more urban lifestyles with arts and culture. CMLC needs to get this entertainment district right for Calgary to be known as a fun/vibrant city, or else with the growing economies of Toronto and Vancouver especially the future tech sectors, Calgary isn't gonna have much to grow a healthy young population like it once did during the oil boom. Not to mention the major talent drain we'll face.

Not everything needs to be wrapped in a fancy facade. In the end like a convention centre, it needs a big column free volume, and the constraints due to its use really limit what can be done beyond a fancy facade. As good as possible street interaction would be awesome, lasting, and hugely beneficial.

Calgary can always improve on its urban vibrancy and culture, but I wouldn't read too much into the stats. Most cities will go through periods where the student population declines relative to other cities percentage wise. Student population doesn't increase in a linear fashion, it increases as institutions expand and increase enrollment. Calgary population has been and even still is growing rapidly relative to other cities so it makes it hard to keep up the percentage of students. If Calgary suddenly added 2,000 more spots for students, they would be filled. In general it's not a case of students leaving Calgary because they like other cities better.

In the case of young professionals migrating to other cities, the situation is almost completely related to the job situation. For about 17 of the last 20 years there has been positive migration of young professionals to Calgary even though the vibrancy and culture has been fairly static, and if anything has been getting better. During those 16 or 17 years of positive migration, a good number of those young professionals have come from Van, Tor, Mtl. No matter what people say about a city's culture and vibrancy, jobs are by far the main reason people move to different cities. Culture plays a part, as a young professional might prefer Calgary over say Medicine Hat or Regina. Calgary has enough going for it, that it can draw from other cities - so long as the economy is creating jobs.

I hope this is a joke by CMLC. I find a design like that seriously underwhelming. Even though the saddle dome is outdated now, it made an integral part of our skyline for so long. I really hope CMLC doesn't screw this up.
I was reading Calgarys Economic Development "New Economy" report from this week and Calgary was declining in student population relative to the Canadian average. In addition Calgary had the highest rate of migration of young professionals and students migrating to other cities. A strong factor in this was they were seeking more urban lifestyles with arts and culture. CMLC needs to get this entertainment district right for Calgary to be known as a fun/vibrant city, or else with the growing economies of Toronto and Vancouver especially the future tech sectors, Calgary isn't gonna have much to grow a healthy young population like it once did during the oil boom. Not to mention the major talent drain we'll face.

Calgary can always improve on its urban vibrancy and culture, but I wouldn't read too much into the stats. Most cities will go through periods where the student population declines relative to other cities percentage wise. Student population doesn't increase in a linear fashion, it increases as institutions expand and increase enrollment. Calgary population has been and even still is growing rapidly relative to other cities so it makes it hard to keep up the percentage of students. If Calgary suddenly added 2,000 more spots for students, they would be filled. In general it's not a case of students leaving Calgary because they like other cities better.

In the case of young professionals migrating to other cities, the situation is almost completely related to the job situation. For about 17 of the last 20 years there has been positive migration of young professionals to Calgary even though the vibrancy and culture has been fairly static, and if anything has been getting better. During those 16 or 17 years of positive migration, a good number of those young professionals have come from Van, Tor, Mtl. No matter what people say about a city's culture and vibrancy, jobs are by far the main reason people move to different cities. Culture plays a part, as a young professional might prefer Calgary over say Medicine Hat or Regina. Calgary has enough going for it, that it can draw from other cities - so long as the economy is creating jobs.
I do agree the economy has a role to play but thats exactly where the problem begins, once the economy tanks what else do u have left to fall back on in order to retain the youth? https://www.calgaryeconomicdevelopm...-Economy/Calgary-in-the-New-Economy-Final.pdf This is the report I'm talking about it. It even goes as far as saying:
"Many Canadians do not believe Calgary offers arts and culture comparable to their current home city"
And this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, we may do a better job than other cities like Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Ottawa, Edmonton etc. but at the end of the day, most of us are aiming for a top tier city so beating them out isn't that great of an achievement IMO. No one likes to see their city disrespected. With all things financially equal, most people would choose to live in Toronto or Vancouver, I'd like that too change. People should come to Calgary and say "wow thats a pretty fun city." Even the old lady I was talking to at one of these open house was adding that many people would comment on Calgary being a "quiet city" especially when travelling from somewhere else. I think an entertainment district like Piccadilly square or Yonge street(minus the arena) could be a game changer. Thats why Im keen on getting it done right.

Last edited:

That's part of it.

I'd say the bigger reason is jobs.

I do agree the economy has a role to play but thats exactly where the problem begins, once the economy tanks what else do u have left to fall back on in order to retain the youth? https://www.calgaryeconomicdevelopm...-Economy/Calgary-in-the-New-Economy-Final.pdf This is the report I'm talking about it. It even goes as far as saying:
"Many Canadians do not believe Calgary offers arts and culture comparable to their current home city"
And this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, we may do a better job than other cities like Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Ottawa, Edmonton etc. but at the end of the day, most of us are aiming for a top tier city so beating them out isn't that great of an achievement IMO. No one likes to see their city disrespected. With all things financially equal, most people would choose to live in Toronto or Vancouver, I'd like that too change. People should come to Calgary and say "wow thats a pretty fun city." Even the old lady I was talking to at one of these open house was adding that many people would comment on Calgary being a "quiet city" especially when travelling from somewhere else. I think an entertainment district like Piccadilly square or Yonge street(minus the arena) could be a game changer. Thats why Im keen on getting it done right.
Calgary being a quiet city is something that's not easily fixed, as it isn't really a quiet city, it just appears that way. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) Calgary has its vibrant spots spread out over multiple areas. Cities our size or smaller tend to have them mostly in one spots and not and not much else. Our best bet might be to form an epicenter in the Beltline. Either 17th aver and 8th street or 17th ave and 4th street. 17th ave and 4th street has great potential being the intersection of two lively corridors. Build something decent on the SE corner of the intersection throw up a few bright signs, and it starts to transform. If only the Royal was built where the Sony Store is, that would also go a long way to forming a true organic entertainment district. That and maybe re-naming 17th to its original name of Notre Dame ave. It would help with the branding, as 17th ave is a dismal name for a vibrant corridor.

Culture and jobs are deeply related. Young people in particular have a higher tolerance for living in economically precarious situations and are more willing to move to a place without the security of a job offer in order to be near certain lifestyle and consumer options. This can create jobs, in part because some of these people will start their own firms or businesses, but also because they will form a particular type of labor pool (young, high skill, low wage) that will attract employers. It's a lot easier to open a restaurant or even a start-up software company if there's a bunch of unemployed 20-somethings hanging around.

Employers in cities with less culture and lifestyle appeal will be forced to pay more to entice people to move there or stay there. This restricts the types of jobs that can be offered.

Calgary is clearly moving in the right direction, but people in this city still have this mentality that jobs are these things that benevolent corporations give us and that culture/lifestyle is the reward that we buy once we have one of those jobs.

Culture and jobs are deeply related. Young people in particular have a higher tolerance for living in economically precarious situations and are more willing to move to a place without the security of a job offer in order to be near certain lifestyle and consumer options. This can create jobs, in part because some of these people will start their own firms or businesses, but also because they will form a particular type of labor pool (young, high skill, low wage) that will attract employers. It's a lot easier to open a restaurant or even a start-up software company if there's a bunch of unemployed 20-somethings hanging around.

Employers in cities with less culture and lifestyle appeal will be forced to pay more to entice people to move there or stay there. This restricts the types of jobs that can be offered.

Calgary is clearly moving in the right direction, but people in this city still have this mentality that jobs are these things that benevolent corporations give us and that culture/lifestyle is the reward that we buy once we have one of those jobs.

I'd reword that to say creativity and new businesses are deeply related.

Usually people who are creative and artsy have a tendencies to start new businesses. Usually people that are orderly and conscientious are good at running businesses. I think Calgary should try and do everything possible to attract new start-up companies, whether it be tech, restaurants or something else.

Back