News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

Any hints on what the buildings look like?

Office (NW) is glass boxy, looks like a curtain wall. Has two different glass styles it looks like (north and south). First looks uber transparent, with a slight blue tinge and goes up two stories more, other is more green, with differently coloured glass "(slightly lighter than base glass) elements breaking up the glass façade. Imagine a putting two boxes together with one protruding higher than the other.

Residential towers are kind of a modified polygon, so not a straight box. Almost like a rhombus or something. Protruding balconies. Masonry townhouse at the base.

Office (NW) is glass boxy, looks like a curtain wall. Has two different glass styles it looks like (north and south). First looks uber transparent, with a slight blue tinge and goes up two stories more, other is more green, with differently coloured glass "(slightly lighter than base glass) elements breaking up the glass façade. Imagine a putting two boxes together with one protruding higher than the other.

Residential towers are kind of a modified polygon, so not a straight box. Almost like a rhombus or something. Protruding balconies. Masonry townhouse at the base.

Your description of the office building reminds me of the TCPL building downtown. I always felt that one was a neat idea but poorly executed. Hopefully this proposal pulls it off a bit better.

Sounds solid. Either way this is a big win for East Village if it goes ahead. I think this will be enough to form the critical mass needed for the neighborhood if no other developments go ahead.

Conceptual renderings of new arena/entertainment district.

More info:
https://calgaryherald.com/news/loca...o-restart-partnership-discussions-with-flames

upload_2018-10-5_10-42-19.png

upload_2018-10-5_10-43-55.png

https://twitter.com/JeffDavisonYYC/status/1048248618560311298

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-5_10-42-19.png
    upload_2018-10-5_10-42-19.png
    1,020.7 KB · Views: 698
  • upload_2018-10-5_10-43-55.png
    upload_2018-10-5_10-43-55.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Usually the concepts are a lot better than a place ends up getting... and that's not very good, so I'm not super hopeful.

It reminds me too much of the Ice District (cold and sterile) which I'm not a fan of. If there's a farmer's market going in, it might have some potential.

It reminds me too much of the Ice District (cold and sterile) which I'm not a fan of. If there's a farmer's market going in, it might have some potential.
Along 12 ave, I agree that it's your typical arena, but along 14 ave, it looks like it'll be a lot more engaged with street, and may have business on the perimeter of the building.

Back