News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

General Construction Updates

Noticed a development notice sign at the Circle K strip mall site at 12th ave and 1st sw. That site was for sale a couple years ago, wonder if development is proceeding. The planning and development map is not working, anyone know what is going on there?

Unfortunately nothing exciting development-wise, I believe it's a notice for a cannabis store.
Noticed a development notice sign at the Circle K strip mall site at 12th ave and 1st sw. That site was for sale a couple years ago, wonder if development is proceeding. The planning and development map is not working, anyone know what is going on there?

Something coming down the pipes at East Village. Looks like a 4 tower, 672 unit development. The parcel had a DP submitted earlier but was for just the north parcel and was two towers.

DoeDMxlV4AAWtbf.jpg

Attachments

• DoeDMxlV4AAWtbf.jpg
    DoeDMxlV4AAWtbf.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 568
The original plan from back in 2015 was for the hostel to stay, but I'm guessing it's going. What would be great is if the hostel was re-incorporated into a new development.

Not thrilled about losing the hostel, gotta keep a mix of all types in the neighbourhood.

The hostel takes up a lot property. Being only two floors, I can't see how it survives with all of the density going in around it.

I would love to see a hostel go into the lower floors of one of the newer buildings. Not sure how economically feasible that is, but it would be nice. It's kind of ironic that for years the hostel (a place where people from around the world stay when visiting Calgary) sat in arguably the worst location in the city, and now that the area is turning around, it's time to move it.

That Banff Trail one might be as good as you can expect a developer to do given how car-focused the City and it's future plans of 16th Avenue are around that area.
Why shouldn't 16th Ave. be car focused? It is supposed to be a highway after all. Crowchild as well.

Something coming down the pipes at East Village. Looks like a 4 tower, 672 unit development. The parcel had a DP submitted earlier but was for just the north parcel and was two towers.

View attachment 159054
This is some exciting news! I'm just a little concerned about the units. 672 seems a little underwhelming IMO for such a large plot of land. I know one of the buildings is an office tower but still something seems off in its scale. Only reason I'm bringing this up is EV is projected to hit 13700 residents so with only a finite of space left and the population sitting at 3543 as of 2018, this seems a bit concerning. I realize a lot of the rental/condos are opening soon and Arris will bring on a lot of residents but even hitting that 13k seems like a mission from this given point. I know great neighbourhoods now a days put a importance on mixed use but I was looking forward to a "real" hyper dense area. Someones more than welcomed to jump in and let me know if I'm miscalculating something. Still really excited to see the renderings for this one.

Back