News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Also a bit of info regarding the triangle lot west of Vendome in Sunnyside. The city will be putting it out to developers for RFP in a couple of months. They are expecting developers to go for something in the range of 10 floors (the allowable max height for that parcel is 26M) and around 100 units, with a percentage of the units being affordable housing. Money for the Bow to Bluff project was taken away by the city, but it looks like this project may be help in getting some of the funding back through density bonusing.

I'd rather see 6 stories instead of 10 and have a stellar design. I think it would fit the neighborhood a bit better and would act as a transition development from Lido and Pixel(both 8 stories) to the SFH's of Sunnyside.

I'd rather see 6 stories instead of 10 and have a stellar design. I think it would fit the neighborhood a bit better and would act as a transition development from Lido and Pixel(both 8 stories) to the SFH's of Sunnyside.
I agree with 6 - 8 storeys if it could be really well integrated and thought out with higher density and active main floor frontage (e.g. a Berlin or Parisian triangle block). The triangle shape of the parcel always makes me think of similar sites throughout european cities. If this is not possible due to developer aptitude/site size/Calgary's build environment vs. Europe, I could also live with 10 storeys in more of a Vancouver-style setback arrangement.

I'll play devil's advocate, and say that I prefer they go with 10 storeys, or even 12. Only because there aren't many parcels in Sunnyside where you could do that kind of density without it being heavily out of context. That being said, maybe 12 storeys on the west side, tapered down to 8 storeys on the east side?

3001 14th ST
30953-106486.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

VIBE 14
Unknown.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

I'll play devil's advocate, and say that I prefer they go with 10 storeys, or even 12. Only because there aren't many parcels in Sunnyside where you could do that kind of density without it being heavily out of context. That being said, maybe 12 storeys on the west side, tapered down to 8 storeys on the east side?

Fair enough. it's a good point. So do we need more population density in Sunnyside? Or would we like to focus more on urban design and aesthetics?

At about 7000 people/km^2 I think Sunnyside already has a decent population density. Keep in mind the future Minto development and a possible Safeway redevelopment would increase the population density.

Sunnyside 2017 population: 4,206
Built area: 0.6km^2
population density: 7010 ppl/km^2

upload_2018-6-13_12-26-42.png

http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerk...services/Census2017/2017_Community_Tables.pdf

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-13_12-25-31.png
    upload_2018-6-13_12-25-31.png
    386 KB · Views: 530
  • upload_2018-6-13_12-26-42.png
    upload_2018-6-13_12-26-42.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 936
Battistella is having an open house from 6-8 tonight for the Lifesport site in Hillhurst. It will be at the Hillhurst-Sunnyside Community Association. @battistellachris for those that can't make it can you share anything here from the open house?

Fair enough. it's a good point. So do we need more population density in Sunnyside? Or would we like to focus more on urban design and aesthetics?

At about 7000 people/km^2 I think Sunnyside already has a decent population density. Keep in mind the future Minto development and a possible Safeway redevelopment would increase the population density.

Sunnyside 2017 population: 4,206
Built area: 0.6km^2
population density: 7010 ppl/km^2

View attachment 146843

http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerk...services/Census2017/2017_Community_Tables.pdf

I always forget that while Sunnyside is 1km^2 in size the built area is smaller. I'd say keep adding population density and at the same time improve the urban design and aesthetics. A lot of these larger developments pay a fee that usually goes into community improvements. More of that can allow for those urban and aesthetic improvements you mention.

I like that idea as well. Regardless though, I really hope it is a cool/well-designed triangle building.

I agree with 6 - 8 storeys if it could be really well integrated and thought out with higher density and active main floor frontage (e.g. a Berlin or Parisian triangle block). The triangle shape of the parcel always makes me think of similar sites throughout european cities. If this is not possible due to developer aptitude/site size/Calgary's build environment vs. Europe, I could also live with 10 storeys in more of a Vancouver-style setback arrangement.

How about something that is tall along the LRT tracks, but that slopes downward toward the eastern side of the property:

Sluishuis-Community-1020x610.jpg

(This is a BIG-designed building in Amsterdam: https://inhabitat.com/big-unveils-f...terdam-with-cascading-zero-energy-apartments/)

Although this one is rectangular by footprint, another BIG design that could work here with some tweaking. They've got a good repertoire of uniquely shaped buildings, and would probably be the ideal candidate for designing a building on this lot.

Bjarke-Ingels-Pyramid-Building-NYC-1020x610.jpg

I'm okay with the idea of something high density on the Triangle lot that is as high as 12 floors if sloped. I like the density in the spot because of the LRT station and Safeway in close proximity, but 6-8 storeys would be a better fit for the neighborhood. Compromise at 10 floors on the west side, sloped to 6 floors o the east side.

Interestingly enough the opposition to this wasn't the idea of it being 10 floors, it was mostly the affordable housing aspect. There is was also a presentation for a 4 floor affordable housing proposal on 14th street, and it got heavily slammed. One lady said "I pay $5,000 per year in taxes and there are drunk rolling around everywhere near my place, we don't need more drunks in the neighborhood" Another lady spoke for about 20 minutes on why they're opposing Glo. Despite all the talk about how "it will aid in the erosion of Sunyside" only 200 people have signed the petition.

Going to a community association meeting is a study in Nimbyism for sure. To be fair though, despite the 50 or so people at the meeting being almost all Nimbys, it's still only 50 people out of ~6K in population for Hillhust/Sunnyside.

I used to do a lot with the HSCA in Uni, for all the progressive posturing from the boomer homeowners, they sure do oppose a hell of a lot of progressive projects. IMO the triangle site would be interesting with an internal courtyard similar to that Rndsqr dev on 33rd. 6-8 floors is probably an appropriate scale, But providing a density bonus for affordable housing makes sense. Haven’t worked a triangle site, I imagine the parkade and access to the parkade will be a challenge.

Back