News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

So long as they don't touch the Sentry Box, they can do whatever they please with the area. That thing is an institution. It was there long before Mikey's and the 5 other things Mikey's was before becoming Mikey's.

Maybe they should branch out and get a liquor license. :p

I never think of that underpass as needing much revitalisation, but it could use improvement for sure.
Lighting and colour would be the big one. Might be out of scope for "underpass revitalization" specifically, but addressing the unfavourable signal timing for pedestrians and cyclists at both 9th and 10th Avenues would be a big improvement. As a downtown resident I get frustrated daily with every signal that is set for ridiculously long green-wave/lengthy advanced green turning phases when that capacity is only needed 2 hours a day. The other 22 hours it punishes residents and active modes dis-proportionally by delaying north-south walking and cycling significantly on 5th Street (and others)

Lighting and colour would be the big one. Might be out of scope for "underpass revitalization" specifically, but addressing the unfavourable signal timing for pedestrians and cyclists at both 9th and 10th Avenues would be a big improvement. As a downtown resident I get frustrated daily with every signal that is set for ridiculously long green-wave/lengthy advanced green turning phases when that capacity is only needed 2 hours a day. The other 22 hours it punishes residents and active modes dis-proportionally by delaying north-south walking and cycling significantly on 5th Street (and others)
I too have noticed that issue with advanced turning lights, glad to see I'm not the only one. And it's not just that intersection, there are others downtown. It's that old mentality of favouring cars over pedestrians.

I noticed that the site on the SW corner of 1st St and 18th Ave SE had hoarding up around it, the project is called Nest, I just saw it as I was driving by so I didn't catch the name of the developor or if there was a website up for it.

I noticed that the site on the SW corner of 1st St and 18th Ave SE had hoarding up around it, the project is called Nest, I just saw it as I was driving by so I didn't catch the name of the developor or if there was a website up for it.
IIRC that was a Truman proposal, but can't find it on their site. Truman has about a half dozen projects on the go and none have broken ground, I suspect that it could be on the back-burner for a bit. If there is a Truman project going ahead soon, it would probably be Archer (Memorial Drive)

1CEE0A25-D090-4E2F-A5B1-B738B19EF393.jpeg

Attachments

• 1CEE0A25-D090-4E2F-A5B1-B738B19EF393.jpeg
    1CEE0A25-D090-4E2F-A5B1-B738B19EF393.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 493
Battistella's West Beltline tower is called Nude .... lol. Do we know where this is?

Back