News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

We've had discussions on other threads whether the Riverwalk can sustain a restaurant year round. Let's put that aside.

Just being on the Riverwalk is not the same thing. The Simmons is at one of the main destination points on the Riverwalk. This is the place on the Riverwalk designed for people to congregate. This proposal is on a section of Riverwalk designed for people to get to and from those destinations. You also have the 5th avenue flyover acting as a barrier from the East Village's destination point. Maybe I'm being too fussy. This isn't even about the restaurant proposal for me anymore. Too many unknowns there. I'm just struggling with the idea that this site is pretty much the exact same thing as Simmons with my background. The street's name in an address can make a difference.

IMO, the difference with the restaurant proposal and Simmons is the direct access to the riverwalk. This proposal would have as much potential if it didn't have the road separating it from the riverwalk. It might not seem like a big deal, but it makes a difference.

What will make or break it is whether it's a good restaurant or not. If it's really good, people will go out of their way to go there, if it's mediocre, then they won't want to be near the DIC and it will fail. The comments with Riverwalk just mean there is another way to get there aside from driving. I don't think the 5th ave flyover is that big of a barrier as there are easy ways around it, and if it's worth it, people will walk a couple blocks from east village or from the core.

It's a tough site for sure, not sure what would be better suited for it as it needs to be activated in order to be succesful, and the site is too expensive for low rise residential.

The key is definitely the food. There are restaurants in less than ideal locations all over NA, that manage to do well because the food is great. My only concern is how much the land/lease is going to be. A lot of these hole in the wall places that do well, also have cheap rent.

Renderings of the Paskapoo slopes redev from that planning document.

Image6.jpg
Image5.jpg
Image4.jpg

Attachments

• Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 267
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 255
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 292
Those low rise buildings are decent looking. They would be right at home on Centre Street or Edmonton Trail, or 33rd ave SW. Too bad they are going up in an area that's completely cut off.

Doesn’t say in the article what the issue is, but it sounds pretty bad, I wouldn’t be surprised this building guess demolished. As much as I feel for the residence, I kind a hope it does get torn down, it’s one fugly building.

While it is fugly it does provide lower rent housing in an area that is amenity and transit rich. So I'd ultimately hate to see it go, and get replaced with something new and unaffordable.

Demolition would be the last, last resort. This building would have to be close to complete failure. (roads closed, surrounding buildings evacuated) 8 floors is about as tall as you'll get here. There's no money to be made in starting over. Someone will take an even bigger hit if it does get flattened over repaired. It's days as lower rent housing is over. May as well gut the place if repairs to the floor slabs extend far into the suites.

I think the building at the NW corner of 4 Street SW and 12 Avenue is being prepped for demo. This is the site with that residential tower proposal.

Back