6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

:eek: Have you ever had their burnt ends? *drool*

That ain't bad at all!

Coco by Sarina:
http://cocobysarina.com/

A bit of a rendering at that website for Sarina's new project on the east end of 33rd Ave, around 16th Street SW.
I like it. I'm guessing it's stucco, which is typical for a project of that size. The scale and layout is nice.

Was this the one that was recommended for refusal, but later changed to approval?

I like it. I'm guessing it's stucco, which is typical for a project of that size. The scale and layout is nice.

Was this the one that was recommended for refusal, but later changed to approval?

It's better than I thought it might be. I guess it's too much to ask to put retail here (though I believe it is now officially zoned for mixed-use). The design looks like it might be adaptable to retail or live/work spaces in the future.

I believe the zoning change was supported by the planning department, opposed by the CPC, and ultimately approved by council. I think the development permit for this particular building is still under review.

It's better than I thought it might be. I guess it's too much to ask to put retail here (though I believe it is now officially zoned for mixed-use). The design looks like it might be adaptable to retail or live/work spaces in the future.

I believe the zoning change was supported by the planning department, opposed by the CPC, and ultimately approved by council. I think the development permit for this particular building is still under review.
Correct on the order of events. Here is a link to the DP:
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2017-2996

That's going to be interesting, would love to see the engineering drawings!

I think a restaurant without parking would do fine there, the Simons building has very limited parking and does quite well. The people across the street would be a far greater concern for most I would think.

I don't find the Simmons building a comparable location at all. A few blocks is often the difference between being in the heart of things and off the beaten path. The Simmons building is the epicentre of the Riverwalk in the East Village. This one is squeezed between the flyovers and 4th. It's literally on the other side of the tracks. LOL It's as disconnected with the Riocan/Loblaws than Riocan/Loblaws is with the condos being built around Simmons,

IIRC wasn't the parcel where the restaurant is going, supposed to be some sort of gateway building, or something like that?

IIRC wasn't the parcel where the restaurant is going, supposed to be some sort of gateway building, or something like that?

Yes that was in CMLC's masterplan, at least last year when I checked. I'll do some digging now. If the structure is striking/elegant/interesting (as a "gateway" should be), this location will do well as it will create a psychological draw. If it is a plain restaurant box, it could mean trouble.

EDIT: in both East Village maps I'm reviewing (one from 2015, one seemingly slightly more up-to-date but without a date stamp), the parcel is marked as "conditionally sold"

EDIT EDIT: Page 28 - "Gateway" - http://www.calgaryherald.com/pdf/East_Village_Master_Plan_ExSummary.pdf

Last edited:
Yes that was in CMLC's masterplan, at least last year when I checked. I'll do some digging now. If the structure is striking/elegant/interesting (as a "gateway" should be), this location will do well as it will create a psychological draw. If it is a plain restaurant box, it could mean trouble.

EDIT: in both East Village maps I'm reviewing (one from 2015, one seemingly slightly more up-to-date but without a date stamp), the parcel is marked as "conditionally sold"

EDIT EDIT: Page 28 - "Gateway" - http://www.calgaryherald.com/pdf/East_Village_Master_Plan_ExSummary.pdf
In one of the EV videos, I remember seeing a triangular shaped building about 6-8 floors in height, which would be perfect for that spot.

In one of the EV videos, I remember seeing a triangular shaped building about 6-8 floors in height, which would be perfect for that spot.

That's sorta the form-flowing blob thing, right? Yeah, I'd love if something like that got built.

IMG_4623.JPG
We should probably have a thread for the West Eau Claire park. They're carving some curved patterns into the concrete. Looks really good.

Attachments

• IMG_4623.JPG
    IMG_4623.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 333
I don't find the Simmons building a comparable location at all. A few blocks is often the difference between being in the heart of things and off the beaten path. The Simmons building is the epicentre of the Riverwalk in the East Village. This one is squeezed between the flyovers and 4th. It's literally on the other side of the tracks. LOL It's as disconnected with the Riocan/Loblaws than Riocan/Loblaws is with the condos being built around Simmons,
This building is on Riverwalk, it's closer to the core, it's closer to more finished condos, it's pretty much the exact same thing with the exception of the homeless shelter across the street. If the Simons building can be successful before there's anything in the area, and Bookers can exist across the street from the DIC, then this should also work. I think you're reaching a bit in your criticism here.

It was originally a glass bubble looking building IIRC.

Back