News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Chinook Centre Developments

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread dedicated to the Chinook Centre which I think should be given all the construction year over year and the importance to the city.

Image5.jpg

Attachments

• Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 930
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd really like to see the parking lot get developed, as well as the lot on the other side of MacLeod. I haven't heard anything on it, but given the state of office space, I'm guessing it's on the backburner.

I think adding residential plus expanding the centre would probably both be good for business so its probably only a matter of time.

I think adding residential plus expanding the centre would probably both be good for business so its probably only a matter of time.
Agree. The parcel sitting between the LRT station and the mall, the land is too valuable to stay that way forever, it's just a matter of time before it gets re-developed.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce something next to build on the parking lot after they're done renovating the food court. I was reading on retail insider that they haven't dropped one bit in revenue per sq.ft since the recession and that its still one of the most profitable malls in Canada. They've been flushing out a lot of lower class retailers in hopes of bagging some biggies like the Louis Vuitton which is opening this fall. I don't see why a hotel or a residential tower can't be built there right now given the desirable location. They could even do phases and leave the last phase for an office tower. But all in all, I have a strong feeling something big is gonna be announced next, its one of the rare parts that hasn't seen the affects of a recession in this city.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce something next to build on the parking lot after they're done renovating the food court. I was reading on retail insider that they haven't dropped one bit in revenue per sq.ft since the recession and that its still one of the most profitable malls in Canada. They've been flushing out a lot of lower class retailers in hopes of bagging some biggies like the Louis Vuitton which is opening this fall. I don't see why a hotel or a residential tower can't be built there right now given the desirable location. They could even do phases and leave the last phase for an office tower. But all in all, I have a strong feeling something big is gonna be announced next, its one of the rare parts that hasn't seen the affects of a recession in this city.

Indeed, while Toronto Eaton Centre has been around for a long time it's still clear that it's transforming into a more premium center and I'm sure the same will happen in due time with Chinook. Realistically after Eaton, the Chinook Centre is probably CF's property with the most potential. What about adding Cineplex VIP to the theatres?

They really missed the mark. They could have been building condo towers around there since 2005 and they would have sold out in record time.

All I can say is if anyone here hears any whispers please post . . .

Its probably not inaccurate to think some redevelopment might be the next logical step given that redoing the food court ties in with the new bridge.

Last I had heard they had put the expansion on the backburner, but it could come back at any time. Calgary's economy looks to be on the rise again, so anything's possible. IMO they need to change the proposal to residential and lose the office space, and that's what most people think, but CF would prefer office if possible which is why they put it hold for now.

Last I had heard they had put the expansion on the backburner, but it could come back at any time. Calgary's economy looks to be on the rise again, so anything's possible. IMO they need to change the proposal to residential and lose the office space, and that's what most people think, but CF would prefer office if possible which is why they put it hold for now.

A mix is probably best

CF has done the same with their City Centre Phase II proposal. I suspect they'll sit on it until the office space market picks up or they find an anchor tenant. I totally agree, residential would be great, or at least both office and residential.
On the top of my wish list would be development on the other side of Macleod (along 61st ave), and to have the +15 go one all the way to the Chinook Station platform.

Back