News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.6K     0 

Calgary's Potential 2026 Winter Olympic Bid

Are you in favour of Calgary's Potential Olympic Bid in 2026?

• Yes

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Hi Group,
Am I in Favour of Calgary"s Bid for the 2026 Games? My Answer is NO for Now. Big Reasons are COSTS. I Might Change my reasons later. As I See it, the 80s were a Different Time Frame.
I Could See the City and the Alberta Gvmnt putting in Money, but NOT Trudope and his Libtards. Trudope is NOT Exactly Positive to Western Canada . More TOXIC then anything else. If this was quebec city they would B Putting in Money like there was NO Tomorrow Coming. Are Calgary Tax Payers Positive? I would like to see them VOTE on the Matter and Go from There. Its a Fair Deal Really.

Tnx,
Operater,

Another pertinent article from the CBC this time: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nenshi-olympic-bid-korea-calgary-2026-winter-1.4531489

I appreciate the mayor's comments regarding the situation. Now whether the process of determining if the games are right for the city is done fairly and objectively is another question, it's nice to see that we aren't blindly going into this "full steam ahead" without regard for any ill-effects from the games. We'll see I suppose.

A YouTube creator I quite enjoy who makes videos about planning explored the idea of making Calgary one of six permanent continental host cities in his latest video here:

Crazy? Yup. Feasible? Not sure. Really interesting nonetheless.

Hi All,
Lets Have this Group Vote on the Issue - Yes/No and See what the Vote is

Tnx,
Operater,

I'm not against hosting the Olympics, but the dollar tag is still large. I imagine the funding would come from all three levels of government, but still quit e a bit of money. If the IOC wants Calgary, then maybe they can cut us in the money a bit more.

It all depends for me on: how much would we spend on things all other things being equal. I could still see going forward with the following without the Olympics:
  • bus barn move/replacement in Victoria Park,
  • many market and social units in Victoria Park,
  • an expansion of the BMO Centre,
  • a 5,000-10,000 person field-house,
  • a life-cycle renovation of the Stampede Grandstand to extend its life another 50 years,
  • and a new arena/event centre.
Now what is the difference between that and the all in cost of those plus the Olympics?

Another pertinent article from the CBC this time: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nenshi-olympic-bid-korea-calgary-2026-winter-1.4531489

I appreciate the mayor's comments regarding the situation. Now whether the process of determining if the games are right for the city is done fairly and objectively is another question, it's nice to see that we aren't blindly going into this "full steam ahead" without regard for any ill-effects from the games. We'll see I suppose.

A YouTube creator I quite enjoy who makes videos about planning explored the idea of making Calgary one of six permanent continental host cities in his latest video here:

Crazy? Yup. Feasible? Not sure. Really interesting nonetheless.

I've thought about the idea of permanent hosts before too. 6 total would be a good idea in terms of efficiency. 12 years between hosting duties would likely mean that venues could be kept in good order, but I think for political reasons it would have to be more like 6 for summer and 6 for winter. Especially when you consider that the list he put forward excludes the world's top 4 economies (USA, China, Germany & Japan) and the world's top great power not on that list (Russia), the country that game the world the Olympics (Greece) and the country that gave us the modern games (France). I know he explicitly excluded the big three political powers of our time, but I doubt that would really fly.

Summer:

Sydney (AUS)
Beijing (CHN)
Rio De Janeiro (BRA)
Paris (FRA)
Athens (GRE)
Cape Town (SAF)

Winter:

Calgary (CAN)
Salt Lake (USA)
Somewhere... I donno... Ufa? (RUS)
Sapporo (JPN)
Garmisch (GER)
Santiago (CHL)

Others to consider: Oslo (NOR), Barcelona (ESP), Mexico City (MEX), London (GBR), Pyeongchang (KOR), Rome (ITA), Queenstown (NZD), somewhere in India and somewhere in the Muslim world.

I've also wondered if it would be feasible to somehow break off a 3rd Olympics from the summer games. I have no idea along what lines, but the summer games tend to be the most bloated. (The Rich Guy Olympics: equestrian, horse racing, polo, sailing, rowing, fencing, falconry, shooting, archery, rugby (F1 :p))

I am not afraid of the Olympic cost whatsoever. Four billion? We're spending more than that on a damn highway with a 150-meter wide median. We'll be fine.

We already need a new field house, arena, stadium, the Green Line, centrally located affordable housing, and an airport rail connection. Retrofitting the other stuff and gaining global attention is just icing on top of the cheapest Olympic cake in decades.

I am not afraid of the Olympic cost whatsoever. Four billion? We're spending more than that on a damn highway with a 150-meter wide median. We'll be fine.

We already need a new field house, arena, stadium, the Green Line, centrally located affordable housing, and an airport rail connection. Retrofitting the other stuff and gaining global attention is just icing on top of the cheapest Olympic cake in decades.

Yeah you can also count me in as pro-Games. Not necessarily at absolutely any cost, but my hope is that they'd be well planned.

At a conversation with some friends a few weeks ago we were unanimous in our willingness to be volunteers as well.

Yeah you can also count me in as pro-Games. Not necessarily at absolutely any cost, but my hope is that they'd be well planned.

At a conversation with some friends a few weeks ago we were unanimous in our willingness to be volunteers as well.

Oh yeah I certainly didn't mean at any cost. Honestly though, anything under say 8 billion is fine. With that I'm talking total cost (everything we already need [minus the Green Line] plus the Olympic retrofitting and potential/hopeful Rocky Mountain rail service).

I would be stoked to be an Olympic Volunteer! Not to mention, I will hopefully be a planner for the city by then :D

I wonder if they can make Fortress Mountain work for the games, would need a lot of work (several new chairlifts and massive upgrades to the Lodge) and I think they would definitely have to upgrade the road quite a bit to accommodate the traffic. Dare to dream Arnold...

I'm excited at the prospect of hosting the games. I wish I was around for '88, talk about lifelong memories!

I will hopefully be a planner for the city by then :D

Also that's awesome, right on! I take it you're in school now? I'm in the same boat. It would be super cool to be involved in planning for the games in any capacity.

Back