News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.6K     0 

Calgary's Potential 2026 Winter Olympic Bid

Are you in favour of Calgary's Potential Olympic Bid in 2026?

• Yes

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Calgary's Olympic bid got a little love from the National Post in this article. Fingers crossed. :) Whatever your thoughts on Trump, the fact that a lot of people dislike him would probably be a boost when competing against US cities.

I don't know... The IOC seems to like struggling democracies and oligarchs.

I don't know... The IOC seems to like struggling democracies and oligarchs.

They've said a lot of good things about wanting to do things differently. You are however correct in assuming that the aristocratic IOC will likely put their wallets before their hearts. I'll remain hopeful for now though.

Calgary's Olympic bid got a little love from the National Post in this article. Fingers crossed. :) Whatever your thoughts on Trump, the fact that a lot of people dislike him would probably be a boost when competing against US cities.
Interesting....I never thought of the Trump angle before. Aside from the arguments about money, it would be great to host another Olympic Games. I feel like the last ones were a turning point for Calgary.

Interesting....I never thought of the Trump angle before. Aside from the arguments about money, it would be great to host another Olympic Games. I feel like the last ones were a turning point for Calgary.

Me too. In most matters pertaining to government I tend towards fiscal conservatism, however when it come things like the Olympics, my Tory side tends wot win out. Who doesn't love a good show? Calgary doesn't often make great waves on the world stage and the last time all eyes were truly on us was the '88 Games. So if things happen to come full circle, I see the potential '26 Games as a wonderful way to showcase ourselves and say "Look how far we've come since."

There hasn't been anything concrete regarding the bid recently. The odd comment or article from some person saying, it'd be nice. I really don't expect much more than that until the review committee delivers its formal recommendation on a bit and if council decides to progress with it.

There was one interesting article in the Post a few days ago. It talks about how Donald Trump's ban on immigration might reflect poorly at the IOC. The bidding process is long and the Olympics in question for Calgary will occur after even a two term trump presidency is history, but I think (author's opinion beings here) anything that hampers a US bid could be a boon for Calgary. Trump could ultimately do the most harm to the 2024 Los Angeles Summer Games bid and that might still serve Calgary's interests. If a European city (Paris or Budapest are the remaining candidates) wins 2024 then the IOC may not be as quick to return to Europe for 2026.

I'm still on the fence about the Olympics. On one hand it would be great for Calgary's exposure, and some of the legacy buildings that go with it, etc... I just worry that it'll cost too much.

Upgrades are coming for Calgary's sliding track (bob, luge, skeleton). The article doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the Olympics per se, but I think it is illustrative up two interesting points. Calgary's legacy infrastructure from the 88' games does need upgrades to remain viable now. The article makes a direct tie between these upgrades and Calgary's continued presence on the World Cup circuit. And, that these upgrades are at least somewhat forthcoming. I guess if the bid does push forward we'll probably get an itemized list of what needs to be done.

The first bit of actual news on the bidding in a while courtesy of SRC's front page. Stockholm has decided to drop their bid. According to wikipedia, Innsbruck, Austria is, like Calgary, conducting a feasibility study due this year on whether to pursue a bid. The Swiss city of Sion also appears to be bidding. Almaty, Kazakhstan (which lost 2022 to Beijing), Sapporo, Japan, (possibly) Ushuaia, Argentia and Erzurum, Turkey are also considering bids.

Back