News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary's Potential 2026 Winter Olympic Bid

Are you in favour of Calgary's Potential Olympic Bid in 2026?

• Yes

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Great shares! Almost 55 thousand spectators at the Stampede Granstand, who'd have thought it. I wonder if the plan includes and refurbishment of the the current seating on top of the porposed temporary and permanent additions.

Those McMahon proposals are interesting too, but man would the concourses, both old and new require a heck of a lot of work.

I hope neither proposal relies too heavily on bench seating either.

Great shares! Almost 55 thousand spectators at the Stampede Granstand, who'd have thought it. I wonder if the plan includes and refurbishment of the the current seating on top of the porposed temporary and permanent additions.

Those McMahon proposals are interesting too, but man would the concourses, both old and new require a heck of a lot of work.

I hope neither proposal relies too heavily on bench seating either.
From the report:
upload_2018-3-5_15-55-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-5_15-55-8.png
    upload_2018-3-5_15-55-8.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 302
This one just got a lot more real:
"Government of Canada, Province of Alberta and the City of Calgary Announce Support for the Creation of a Bid Corporation for Potential Calgary 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games Bid" - https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...nd-paralympic-winter-games-bid-678335293.html

"A representative from the City of Calgary confirmed to CBC News that Ottawa has committed $10.5 million in funds and the Government of Alberta has committed $10 million.

Calgary will be releasing an additional $1 million from the Fiscal Stability Reserve toward the bid corporation and contributing an additional $2.5 million, bringing the city's total to $9.5 million, and the total budget for the bid corporation to $30 million." CBC

"That budget would cover all expenses for a bid until September 2019, when the International Olympic Committee is expected to award the Games." CBC

"A spokesperson for Premier Rachel Notley said the province would want a plebiscite before a decision is made on a bid." CBC

It seems like some people are really wanting this. I'm not totally against it, but I really want to see this discussed and laid out before I throw my support behind it.

What has changed? Nothing .. but like many things council wants firm numbers yesterday, and work with other levels of government takes time. And administration cannot answer "we are pretty sure we are going to come to agreement X, with 2010 as a starting point, plus inflation, minus ??" and instead says "we have no agreement, and no indication on what an agreement will have".

The federal government would have to move heaven and earth to come with a concrete proposal by Sept. 10.

The thing is, council should know better, but opponents are using known unknowns to undermine confidence., even when those unknowns were known for the entire process.

Hi,

It will B Interesting to See Just What Happens. Reasons? There will B a Federal Election Plus a Provincial Election in 2019. Its My Bet that U C P will take Alberta.
Who Takes CANADA? Don't Know. B NICE if It was the Conservatives. If Neither Party Wants to Spend $100s of Millions on the Olympics Calgary Can KISS the
Olympics Good Bye. Don' think Calgary Tax Payers are in the Mood to Pay for Another Round of Olympics. This isn't the 1980s

Tnx,
Operater.

So that's it for the Olympic bid. Happy? Sad? Someone to blame? Myself, I was on the fence. I would have loved to experience the Olympics, since I was too young to enjoy the first ones. On the other hand, it was a lot of money.

Welcome to SRC Atticus! I was probably more on the no side, but if Calgary had pursed them and was awarded the games, I'd be fully behind them.

I remember being 5 years old when the torch came through Airdrie. My brother ended up running with the guy who had the torch and helped hold it for a bit, 14 years later my brother made his first olympics. Came in 5th in doubles luge. Without Calgary having hosted the olympics stories like his and many others would not have been possible.

I think Calgary could have hosted another olympics and done well with it.

Just looking through the twitter feed, for an item specific to the theme of this website, it looks like the Athlete's Village will go from 2,800 units to 1,800 units, and it will not be in Victoria Park. Location has yet to be revealed.

Back