Votes: 39 35.5%
  • So So

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters
Im confused. Are we getting 1 tower or 2? From earlier on in this forum everyone was mentioning just the 150m one in the first phase but seeing that they built a parkade and the podium for the second tower as well, it just seems dumb to me that they wouldn't go ahead and add the second tower while they're at it. I mean moving all that equipment back out and in and removing/reinstalling the crane later just to come back and finish the second tower is a waste of money. If it is rental, then adding a couple hundred units more into the area isn't gonna be the end of the world. I can understand Rio not going ahead with their podium towers at Arris because they wanna fetch the right price for the condo units.

Last edited:
Im confused. Are we getting 1 tower or 2? From earlier on in this forum everyone was mentioning just the 150m one in the first phase but seeing that they built a parkade and the podium for the second tower as well, it just seems dumb to me that they wouldn't go ahead and add the second tower while they're at it. I mean moving all that equipment back out and in and removing/reinstalling the crane later just to come back and finish the second tower is a waste of money. If it is rental, then adding a couple hundred units more into the area isn't gonna be the end of the world. I can understand Rio not going ahead with their podium towers at Arris because they wanna fetch the right price for the condo units.

Were getting two towers in this phase

You can see the second tower in the SE corner starting to rise. It probably is on the 2nd or third story now
Yeah, that's gotta be the east tower. Why would they build a portion of the podium using the footprint of the tower? FWIW I'd be happy if it was only one tower, I'm just as happy to see the rental units get spread around on other projects.

I'd be happy if it were one tower for the potential of design changes in the future. It's currently triplets occupying almost an entire block.

New rental units are going to be priced high regardless of where they are built. Renters would have more success in getting a good deal from a desperate condo investor. New supply is not going make older supply cheaper. Large landlords are not going to compromise their rates just to fill units. The industry doesn't have to be cut throat. This isn't a renters market and there probably has never been a renters market at any time in any of the major cities in Canada,.

When in first moved to Calgary in 1996 it was a renters market for the most part. My apartment was larger than my apartment in Toronto and was less than half the price ($450.00/month). The building I moved into was even offering free cable to get renters. In a few years it changed unfortunately, as my second rent hike in two years was coming and the free cable was gone.

What I meant by the rental units getting spread around was to hopefully give a better chance to another building somewhere else getting built instead. It would be nice to see the next towers have a different design change also. I don't mind the design of the tower, but don't fancy having triplets or twins.
I'd be happy if it were one tower for the potential of design changes in the future. It's currently triplets occupying almost an entire block.

New rental units are going to be priced high regardless of where they are built. Renters would have more success in getting a good deal from a desperate condo investor. New supply is not going make older supply cheaper. Large landlords are not going to compromise their rates just to fill units. The industry doesn't have to be cut throat. This isn't a renters market and there probably has never been a renters market at any time in any of the major cities in Canada,.

Got it. I'm one that prefers development focused in spots than spread out as much as I like diversity in design and knowing it's best achieved through the passing of time. Everything is undergoing a transition to higher density befitting a city of a couple million people which is great. It just would be nice to have more that is complete. Hypothetically, there's more than enough construction in the city to complete the East Village in 3 or 4 years..

Interesting situation with this building. I asked around and have received differing answers about the second tower. Some saying it's going ahead and some saying it's not. I'm inclined to believe it was probably going ahead, but there was a late decision to put it on hold.

4F32E678-E01A-4CE0-A8BC-DDBA18F88AC5.jpeg

79531711-16D5-46B4-B7E5-9204EA15E1DF.jpeg

46D78AC4-9C63-4B2F-BA24-278889CEB4F8.jpeg

Back