News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Unbuilt Projects

From reddit: u/theavrocanadian & u/mibeatr

The original plane for Shaganappi over the river...

I think we dodged a bullet here, I'd take Edworthy over this any day.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 19.48.05.png

I remember having a class debate about this in... jr high? High school? And not being really aware of where Edworthy was.

I agree that a park is better than a highway, but our focus on parks-not-bridges is kind of biting us in the ass for certain transit trips. I think it makes using a car more attractive, ironically.

I'm glad they left it as-is but that bridge would've saved me a ton of time over the years....

I'd be curious to know how steep that road would need to have been to make it up the hill. The Sarcee route is already pretty steep, and it has considerably more distance to do it.

I believe they had similar plans for linking up Sarcee N & S but those never materialized. It seems odd to me that it basically took 50 or 60 years to get another direct route from the NW to the SW. I guess at the end of the day I'd rather have Crowchild and Stoney as the only two proper arteries as opposed to 4 that have been proposed.

Man... approaching 20 years in my career in the architecture and construction lines of work. The amount of unbuilt projects and renderings that I've seen, that the public had absolutely no clue about, would make people's heads spin. Some really cool stuff out there if you could pull back the curtain on these firms. Certainly a fun world to be involved in, that's for sure - never a dull moment.

Any chance you are able to share any gems with us? It is always fun to play "what if?...."

I wish I could, but I won't be posting any imagery or content (I could run into some real turbulence doing that). One thing I will share though is that about 12 years ago, the old science centre was the targeted location for a new degree-granting institution called the Canadian Centre for Energy and Dialogue, which was being discussed as a new university focused on delivering specific energy-related education and training (not just oil and gas, but all types of energy - including new energies and discoveries). The conceptual renderings had the old science centre remaining completely in tact and utilized (with new colors of course), with a 'futuristic' / sweeping, curved expansion around the entire facility and an asymmetrically shaped red tower with curved corners on the south side of the property, as well as other 'futuristic' additions and features around the infrastructure that tied it all together. This project never materialized (obviously), but it was wild.

There were some crazy designs out there. Even some for Edmonton as well. Back in the 80's the Ghermezian brothers (who owned Wes Ed mall) proposed building 3 towers downtown Edmonton, the tallest was proposed as 83 floors and ~ 1,100 feet. It would have made the skyline look stupid, but still would have been quite the sight. The muni was a roadblock, whether it would would have actually gotten built, who knows.

Back