Votes: 9 13.0%
  • So So

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not to mention in this specific example, Canadian Tire is replacing exactly zero hardware stores within walking distance. I guess London Drugs across the street will compete with them on selling cheap wicker baskets and stand-up fans, but I don't see a London Drugs - Canadian Tire throw-down necessarily a bad thing.

If anything preventing a drive to the burbs will help keep a slight bit more money in the city centre as someone going to Canadian Tire in the Beltline is much more likely to grab a coffee or food nearby at a local shop than someone going to a Canadian Tire near Westhills.

Hi All,
A C T Store on the Beltline, Interesting! I Worked in Courier Land for 27 Yrs, so I Knew Downtown, Beltline, and Mission Inside and Out/Backwards etc, If You had Asked about a C T Store in Beltline, I would have Snickered in Your Face and Walked Away. Never Figured Possible Really, Its NOW 2017 Things Have Changed. Boy Have They Ever. Now I see a LOT of Fast Paced Changes and Give it say What - 5 Years or More and It WON'T and it Will Not B the Same as IT is Now. As Cptn Picard of Starship Enterprise Says "Make It So"! Funny as It Sounds, Interesting Times for My Old Stomping Grounds. It was a Lot of Fun While I was There.
(Nov 82 to Dec 09)
Tnx,
Operater,

I don't see it as a problem. Most big or little box stores won't be competing with the other smaller retailers
I highly doubt big box will displace specialty shops. Now, quasi chain franchises for lets say pet goods, out competing an old school pet store that has had little investment in 30 years? Yeah for sure.

The cheese shop failed years before urban faire is destined to join the fray.

Is that a problem though?

Not to mention in this specific example, Canadian Tire is replacing exactly zero hardware stores within walking distance. I guess London Drugs across the street will compete with them on selling cheap wicker baskets and stand-up fans, but I don't see a London Drugs - Canadian Tire throw-down necessarily a bad thing.

If anything preventing a drive to the burbs will help keep a slight bit more money in the city centre as someone going to Canadian Tire in the Beltline is much more likely to grab a coffee or food nearby at a local shop than someone going to a Canadian Tire near Westhills.

The clustering close to CT may could increase sales for surrounding specialty stores but, it's unlikely to make up for the higher rents brought in by chain retail. I hope we defy the odds by supporting both. This big box development as a crowning jewel or an anchor for retail in the Beltline here doesn't bring me much hope.

Well, I'm counting on rents to increase. They'll possibly double should this become the aforementioned retail destination for the Beltline. Having the lowest streetfront retail doesn't work in favour of lower rents. The demand just hasn't been there. Big Box has the ability to market and change shopping patterns very quickly.

$50 is on the low side.

The rents have been stalled for a decade. Was similar around a decade ago when I rented 3000 sq ft for a project on 10th St in Kensington.

One from yesterday:

35705535193_4af2a37d6d_b.jpg

Hi Group,
That Night Shot? Take it, Its facing North to 14th Ave., that Taller Bldg looks like Dorchester Sq.

Tnx,
Operater

The rents have been stalled for a decade. Was similar around a decade ago when I rented 3000 sq ft for a project on 10th St in Kensington.

The past is past. I'm speculating on the future with this becoming the aforementioned retail hub for the Beltline. Maybe it won't. This is still a pricey retail development with underground parking for $50 a square foot.

Hi Group,
Just as a Matter of Interest, How many of the Older Houses or Apts got knocked down for this Project? Should know but it escapes Me off hand.
Tnx,
Operater.

It was 2 or 3 derelict historic houses and a small shitty 70s apartment building I believe.

Back