The Hat Elbow River | 177.99m | 56s | Cidex Group | NORR

178m ain't even that tall, you got towers under construction surpassing that height easily in Toronto and Burnaby, eventually we're gonna have to start pushing the barrier if were gonna accept change. Im looking forward to when we start hitting 200m+ residential towers like many large cities have been in the recent global economic boom. Imagine if they said to stop building the large iconic office towers we have because their too big. We wouldn't have the skyline we have today, probably would've been an Edmonton 2.0 with more parking lots developed. And Im 99% sure this project will be phased, no way they will dump all those units at once. As far as the podium goes, thats the one thing I agree with everyone, its too damn ugly and big.
True, but this accepting change isn't accepting tall buildings, we and most other places do this all the time and have for decades (to your point). Change would be rejecting something with no neighbourhood integration, little pedestrian-orientation, or any part of the design that expresses an understanding of successful urban development through design. Your example of Burnaby is a perfect example to illustrate this. See the podium of Brentwood Town Centre below

I think these pictures speak for themselves, but if it isn't clear, one of the only things they have in common are really tall towers. Everything else is far superior at the Burnaby design. Whether folks like living in such a development is a different story - but Burnaby is designed to bring a hell of a lot of density to a site equally as close to rapid transit in a way that actually will make the area a revolutionary better urban environment where density is a good thing.

The Burnaby site is much larger - granted - but was equally parking cratered 1970s era suburban mall design with big roads. We shouldn't let a proposal of such density at such a good site through just because its big... we should let it through because it's good.

Compare these two podiums:

the_amazing_brentwood.jpg

To this podium:
1555184745132-png.181264

have to say i love the banter on this project.

personally i think something along the lines of 2-3 30fl towers is fair as its quite a large parcel. i agree we should be encouraging more modest scale but the end of the day this address is not where you want to fire the first shots of that war. its macleod trail.

also im totally against a 9fl parking podium. thats ridiculous.

I'm not sure what to make of this proposal. 1400 units is absolutely monstrous and would result in around 2,100 new residents to the core. That being said the renderings leave a bit to be desired. What is going into that massive podium? How is this project going to interact with Macloed, and erlton station? And, as mentioned previously what role does the river play in this? Also, are we getting this project over the next couple years at the expense of 10-15 smaller towers sprinkled throughout the core? At this point I would say, show me more.

Ouch. This one is going to hurt. I guess the real equation was always:
MacLeod Trail couplet + Chinook Centre aesthetics (not uses) + (Guardian tower density x 3) + 1990s era corporate office tower + 1,200 parking stalls = a vibrant and successful urban Calgary? /s

I don't dislike this one. I understand people's concerns about the river, but there isn't much opportunity to do much with the river in betweens those two roads. I happy with the extra density on land that isn't good for much. If it had great potential someone would have done something with it already.

Back