The Fifth | 17m | 5s | Arlington Street | NORR

Clearly visible in the form of windows being installed on the 2nd floor.

I know, I said it's the start of cladding… windows.

Drive by... sorry about the quality. Nice to see some glazing and membrane application. I had a chance to check out the façade proportions along 5th, and I have to say I really like the way they handled the corner of the building at the lane and 5th. It's slightly setback, but makes a world of difference with respect to massing.
IMG_1537.JPEG
IMG_1539.JPEG

The flashing lights that would come with images constantly revolving would be a tough sell to prospective residents.
They'd be facing an office building across the street. Advancements in electronic lighting have also improved significantly to control how much light pollution there is. Plus, it doesn't seem to be a big problem for residents in larger cities across the world. On the other hand, there would be a range of benefits from an increase in city appeal, increased streetlife after dark, and revenue to offset costs for buildings (particularly if advertising for big companies like Mcdonald's and such).

That light would reflect off said office building and bounce back at residents living in the Fifth. It's not the worth the inevitable headache that would come when residents would start to complain.

That light would reflect off said office building and bounce back at residents living in the Fifth. It's not the worth the inevitable headache that would come when residents would start to complain.
That's really debatable, depends on the lighting system used. And not to mention, if it was already advertised in advance, people would know exactly what they're getting themselves into.
I once stayed in a hotel room in Mumbai in front of a massive lit billboard, the type that would make Jim Pattison's billboards look like bus stop posters. The glare didn't bug me one bit once the curtains were shut. As a city gets bigger, there tends to be an expectation for healthy city pollution. This would be the type of pollution that enhances our senses, whether that's the chatter of people in the streets, street music playing, or in this case, light displays. It all adds to the experience of living in the city, particularly downtown living. Currently, the type of city pollution we get in Calgary are the loud straight pipe vehicles revving down 17th ave, leaving a smoke trail behind. That's the wrong kind!

Back