The Cornerstone | 36m | 10s | Peoplefirst

It looks like aluminum siding to me.

Certain people have a thing against brick, like they don't want to be reminded of 50s-60s "Soviet style" apartments.

Definitely some poor design choices made on this project. Very expensive adding balconies and doing a full reclad to end up looking like this. Looks like Peoplefirst has learned from their mistakes and is planning to do a much more sensible concept for Petrofina

Looks like there was an open house for this project today. The interior of the units looks nice. Not sure what the rental market is like these days but $2964/month for a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom feels a bit pricey? The space heater plugged in to the counter-top on a day where it's only -11⁰ also doesn't give me great faith in the quality of the conversion work....

Definitely some poor design choices made on this project. Very expensive adding balconies and doing a full reclad to end up looking like this. Looks like Peoplefirst has learned from their mistakes and is planning to do a much more sensible concept for Petrofina
We can only hope, good lord this looks cheap

How can anyone not know the state of the rental market?

It's on the news every day, including a recent article about Calgary experiencing the highest rent increases in the country.

Rents in many cases have doubled in the last 2-3 years.

The evidence is right here - 3000 a month for 940 square feet.

Nice finishes. Tiny living room for a 3 bed though. Would have been better to add the balcony space to the living room.

Reminds me a bit of those NYC apartments shown by Cash Jordan on YouTube. A landlord turns a 1- or 2- bedroom into a 3-bedroom with almost nothing for a living room, while simultaneously raising the rent per bedroom.

How can anyone not know the state of the rental market?

People are so often full of shit about the rental and housing markets that I can't get a clear picture. I talked to a lady who said her son couldn't find a one bedroom for less than $2000. That just isn't true unless he has a very specific neighbourhood and age of building in mind.

IMG_0733.jpeg

I am completely baffled by the decision to clad the corner columns in that cheap ass siding. Wouldn't it have been cheaper to retain the brick? Looks awful.
Aging masonry means maintenance.

This looks worse than cookie cutter suburban vinyl clad condos. If they had even run the siding vertically it would look slightly less weird. Hopefully a new development appears on that surface parking lot beside it to block it from sight some day.

Back