The Cornerstone | 36m | 10s | Peoplefirst

Absolutely hideous and a huge departure from the renderings. Should of just demolished this beast....
It’s not the best looking building, but does it really need to be demolished? It went from a boring mundane office building that nobody asked to demolish, to a boring mundane residential building. The fact that it changed to residential is a win.

It’s not the best looking building, but does it really need to be demolished? It went from a boring mundane office building that nobody asked to demolish, to a boring mundane residential building. The fact that it changed to residential is a win.
I agree the building doesn't need demolishing - that's why it's being repurposed - but it's hard to imagine a worse outcome, architecturally. It doesn't even make sense from a cost perspective - why not leave the more premium-looking brick instead of covering it up with beige siding? Why go with 2 siding colors that are so close to one another as to look almost indistinguishable anyways? And one of my biggest gripes with Calgary architecture is the preponderance of boring, muted colors (especially beige) - but usually that's more or a problem in the burbs, not right in the middle of downtown.

Cube is an example of a really cool office conversion done right. I agree with the above, they should have left the brick, maybe paint it white or black. The demolition was a bit of hyperbole, but I think it actually looks far worse now than the original. I don't see these materials aging well.

IMG_4382.jpeg
IMG_4379.jpeg
IMG_4381.jpeg

That looks astoundingly bad. It even appears to be vinyl siding as opposed to hardyboard. I don't think I've seen vinyl siding on a highrise before...and I hope I never do again. To add insult to injury, our taxes helped subsidize this abomination.

Those "random rectangles" actually make it look even worse. If they were in a bold color or something, maybe they'd be a slight positive - but they're in the same boring colors as the rest of the building.

This thing looks as poorly designed and constructed as humanly possible. I've also never seen vinyl siding on a high-rise. This thing is going to fall apart in under a decade. I can see some of the siding hanging off the building after a good wind storm....I officially declare this the worst looking building in the DT core. I even think that bunker next the the Delta hotel is nicer!

Back