News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4.3K     0 

Calgary Restaurant Thread

Sounds like D.O.P. is moving to Marda Loop. Does anyone know exactly where there new location will be?
Amazing news! My guess is in Leonard Groups new development on the corner of 34ave and 18st SW

Edit: just confirmed by my wife based on her expert instagram sleuthing

Last edited:
Amazing news! My guess is in Leonard Groups new development on the corner of 34ave and 18st SW

Edit: just confirmed by my wife based on her expert instagram sleuthing
Let Leonard cook! I'm going to single handedly boost this countries discretionary spending once DOP and Central Taps open, not to mention whatever is going into Farm.

Pretty solid list.
Cabin near the top and Minhas last, seems accurate! lol
Yeah, I think the top 10, or even the top 20 are all really good. Cabin is right up there for me. The top 10 list could easily be my list also, with the order arranged a bit differently.

My top 5 (not necessarily in order) would probably be:
Cabin
Cool Garden
Last Best
Tool shed
Four Dogs
but it's hard to choose, as there are a lot of good ones.

You know the local brew market is solid when Big Rock and Two House are down at 37th and 38th respectively. Not my go to brews, but I like them both. The one that really sticks out for me is Minhas, which to me isn't in the same category as any of the others 40 in the list. Minhas would be somewhere near the bottom of my top 100.

Last edited:
I haven't been to Brewsters in ages, but I agree that they belong below Big Rock and above Minhas.

I did like High Line (haven't been there in ages, either), but that could be because of one beer I liked (the yuzu sour), the location, and the fact that the scene was so much smaller when they opened.

I went to the place that was there before Tailgunner, in 2020 or so, and it was ghastly. Was it the original location of Two House? (Edit: I think it was. July 2020)

Last edited:
I probably would have put Annex and 33 Acres above the Establishment. I like the beers at Establishment but find the experience lacks there (pretty much the same thing the authors said in their review).

I like(d) Ol’beautiful’s tap room but was never huge on their beers. It’s also been a while since I’ve been to 88 (they were still slinging Noble pizza when I was last there), but I never really liked their beer either, although I do like their tap room. I thought both of these were too high.

I also though Prairie Dog was too high (don’t love their beers, although the BBQ is great), Dandy was too high (don’t love their taproom experience), and Banded Peak was way too low (although I haven’t been there since before Labbatt bought them out and the authors indicated a drop in quality). Cold Garden was also too low.

There were a few in the top 20 I’ve never even heard of, so looks like I know how I’ll be spending my remaining summer weekend.

Last edited:
Minhas has to be the worst beer out there, think I'd rather drink Kokanee!

I love Annex, sounds like I need to try Establishment! I'm mostly sober these days, anyone recommend a good NA craft beer?

Minhas has to be the worst beer out there, think I'd rather drink Kokanee!

I love Annex, sounds like I need to try Establishment! I'm mostly sober these days, anyone recommend a good NA craft beer?
My favs are the Iota Hazy IPA, and the Partake Peach Gose.

For the most "normal beer" tasting ones, Heineken 0 i find is the best.

The Ship has a non alc beer on tap that is pretty good too

I should try the Heineken one, heard good things about it. Had the NA beer at the ship, it was an IPA I think, had a hoppy taste that slightly masked the watery taste, not bad but still a ways to go.

Personally I think The Establishment consistently has some of the best craft beer out there. I agree that their tap room is a little bare bones but they're easily my favorite brewer in the Province. Cabins a solid second.

One of my faves.
IMG_5178.jpeg

Back