News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Restaurant Thread

Interesting spot, but it's kind of tucked away in a cul-de-sac next to an overpass. I guess with good signage they could draw foot/bike traffic from 26 Ave.

Once people move into the Viscount Bennett redevelopment across the street, and Cascade down the block, I think it would get a ton of use. But that's years away (maybe never for Cascade ;)

On that note, why is Cascade not on the DMAP? Do developments disappear from the map once the permit is released and construction starts?

Fortunas is an interesting Latin American concept type of kitchen - so no, they don’t have Caesars. Just because they’re in Calgary doesn’t mean they have to sell Caesar’s.
The food is good though definitely not cheap.

I went to Strip Joint next door, and it was... ok. The tenders reminded me of Popeyes but with better sauce. Also had a really good salad and some really disappointing "funeral potatoes".

In other news I noticed that the short-lived Milk Tiger space on 4 St has been leased.
The rumour I've heard, and it's just a rumour but I've heard it from a few sources, is that it's going to be an Analog coffee.

I had lunch at Red's on 4th the other day. $23.99 or something for a Reuben and cup of soup! It wasn't amazing, either. Pretty good though.

No wonder the place was half full at lunch.

Sadly resto prices in Calgary and Canada for that matter are through the roof. I was out in Van recently, and the trend I'm noticing in Vancouver is a lot of places the standard size for a beer seems to be 10-12oz, and even smaller in some places....and they go for 10 Bucks! then you've got your sales tax, and then you've got your tip option that starts at 18%....even though most places you line up at a counter and picker up your order. You can get out of the tip option, but you have to work at getting out of it.

$26 for a couple of 12 oz beers that you stood in line for a got yourself. I get things are expensive there, but jeez.

Last edited:
The reason prices are so high at these restaurants is that people will pay the prices.

Red's was way less busy than I would have expected for lunch. It's possible the prices are driving people away.

Of course, their money maker might be brunch.

Red's was way less busy than I would have expected for lunch. It's possible the prices are driving people away.

Of course, their money maker might be brunch.
I haven't been there for a while, but in past times it was always really busy until around 1:00pmish and then it would tail off.

I can't say I've ever eaten at this place (I don't have the kind of schedule that works with "popup" restaurants) but the photos look good. I'm excited

Back