News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Restaurant Thread

Went past the repainted Rose & Crown (Elephant & Castle if the rumours are true), I kinda like the white paint job, the old place looked quite dingy.
IMG_5302.jpeg

They're also downsizing their stores, moving to smaller CRUs which offer mostly takeout service. In Toronto, they also started opening in higher end grocery stores - Loblaws and Longos

For Calgary, there's probably only a few spots in the city with the density and walkability to support a non-drive through location.
I think the one in Garrison woods does pretty well.

The Bankview Starbucks, 14 St and 25 Ave, is still around, as is the one in Britannia. Neither have drive-thrus. And the Bridgeland one, which had the world's slowest drive-thru, and the one near Carriage House Inn on MacLeod which also had a drive-thru, did close. (Yes, I do drink a lot of Starbucks)

My suspicion was that Starbucks couldn't make it in urban locations like Kensington and Beltline because when given the choice, urban customers would rather support the independent shop around the block. But in inner-city suburban Britannia, Starbucks can coexist with Monogram.

IDK. Maybe you are right though, and Starbucks does prefer drive-thru locations. Two of the most recent ones to open that I've been aware of have been on Macleod (near 53rd and then near 71st-ish), and were drive-thrus.

Last edited:
The old waves on 17th ave across the street from Whiskey Rose is undergoing quite a transformation. They have torn up the old patio area and appear to be building a half wall of sorts. Thinking maybe its for a "permanent" outdoor space that restaurants are putting in these days. Does anyone have the scoop on what is going in there?

The old waves on 17th ave across the street from Whiskey Rose is undergoing quite a transformation. They have torn up the old patio area and appear to be building a half wall of sorts. Thinking maybe its for a "permanent" outdoor space that restaurants are putting in these days. Does anyone have the scoop on what is going in there?
Fort Architecture was doing the design work and said it was going to be a place called Cold Beer + Pizza, but that was before the site went stagnant and had no activity for a year after demo of the Waves. No clue if that's still the plan.

Not really a “restaurant “ but we don’t have a nightlife thread…

Anyone checked out Modern Love yet? Formerly Broken City, on 11th. They redid the space really fantastically and quite classy. Still the same Alternative style of venue as Broken City was, so it’s really nice to have kind of a nice alt venue now. Been there twice, would recommend.

I went during Sled Island. My friend didn't like the reconfiguration, but I think it's great. There's both more room to sit/eat, and more angles to see the stage from, whether you're sitting or standing.

But I have to say I wouldn't go there to eat (not that I'm the target market anymore) because I'm not into vegan pub/junk food.

I went to Strip Joint next door, and it was... ok. The tenders reminded me of Popeyes but with better sauce. Also had a really good salad and some really disappointing "funeral potatoes".

In other news I noticed that the short-lived Milk Tiger space on 4 St has been leased.

Recently noticed that this buidling was leased, checked it out on the dmap and it has a development permit for:

"Change of Use: Brewery, Winery and Distillery, Restaurant: Licensed, Retail and Consumer Service; Changes to Site Plan: Outdoor Cafe"

Could be a cool spot for a brewery in a fairly urban setting. Its an interesting building, looks like it was a Canada post distribution centre at one point

Back