Votes: 20 44.4%
  • So So

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The concrete is overpoweringly hostile. There are plenty of hard surface choices that would have added warmth and texture. The utility vault could have been affordably screened behind something attractive. You don't have to redefine the space with a patio, trees, etc. to make it 1000 times more welcoming. This half a block is irrelevant in the grand scheme but, it is how cities' private and public institutions go about on these irrelevant spaces that end up forming the overall impression of a city

It's better than what was there before. Anything is better than what was there before. The retaining wall and surface parking lot existed to be redeveloped. This is now a finished product.

I wouldn't call it the bare minimum, the straight up retaining wall that was there before was the bare minimum.

What else would they do given the utilities vault and space between the building and the sidewalk? Some people have mentioned putting a patio attached to the main level retail space. Sounds good, but there would be downsides to that as the patio would need to come out a ways to make it useful, and then you'd have a small retaining wall with a balcony fence on top of it at the edge of a now, narrower walkway. I think it would be worse for the streetscape than what's there now. What ideas do you have in mind that wold have been better?

Also don't forget that the 5th Street Underpass is set to undergo revitalization this coming year, I believe this includes significant changes to the utility vault and just generally that area won't be as shitty. That is almost certainly why nothing was done to the vault (i believe it's actually a pump station for underpass flooding).

The concrete is overpoweringly hostile. There are plenty of hard surface choices that would have added warmth and texture. The utility vault could have been affordably screened behind something attractive. You don't have to redefine the space with a patio, trees, etc. to make it 1000 times more welcoming. This half a block is irrelevant in the grand scheme but, it is how cities' private and public institutions go about on these irrelevant spaces that end up forming the overall impression of a city

It's better than what was there before. Anything is better than what was there before. The retaining wall and surface parking lot existed to be redeveloped. This is now a finished product.
Initial concepts by the city to upgrade this city property (the lift station changes aren't part of this project I believe, but changes to it are to be done this year):

Given Quadreal is involved in this one, I would say it will get retail first. Just a guess tho.
I'm curious to see what will fill its retail first, this or 6th and Tenth. 6th and Tenth has been sitting there for over a year waiting for a tenant.

AFAIK the residential tower is going to be filled up really quick. I know that almost everything on my floor is leased and I think that most others are getting close to filling up.

Given Quadreal is involved in this one, I would say it will get retail first. Just a guess tho.
Thats my guess too. 6th and Tenth was a huge shitshow when I lived there, they still haven't opened their amenities and have condos for sale even though it was completed ages ago.

Thats my guess too. 6th and Tenth was a huge shitshow when I lived there, they still haven't opened their amenities and have condos for sale even though it was completed ages ago.
Who's the leasing agent for 6th and Tenth?

There's always a tenant out there somewhere, the question is what price will be needed to get someone in. It's not uncommon to see retail spaces sit empty for a while in condo developments. I'm sure it'll get filled eventually.

Who's the leasing agent for 6th and Tenth?

There's always a tenant out there somewhere, the question is what price will be needed to get someone in. It's not uncommon to see retail spaces sit empty for a while in condo developments. I'm sure it'll get filled eventually.

CBRE; here's the listing.
It's sort of a baffling design, IMO -- it's a single 4000 square foot unit, and the way the "water features" on 10th are located, it's not really possible to split it for multiple tenants. It's designed and marketed for a restaurant, but that's pretty big for a restaurant.

It's sort of a baffling design, IMO -- it's a single 4000 square foot unit, and the way the "water features" on 10th are located, it's not really possible to split it for multiple tenants. It's designed and marketed for a restaurant, but that's pretty big for a restaurant.
That whole building is odd...not in a good way

They advertise that theres patio space available for whatever restaurant moves in, but the only space I can see to put a patio has balconies right above it..

The natural location for a patio from the restaurant would be in front of the building facing 10 Ave. That is where the traffic flow will be. Instead of putting the water features right in front of the windows as they did, they could have placed them further out as a separation/barrier between the sidewalk and the patio.

Back