Munro | 26m | 7s | Calgary Co-op | NORR

Really excited for all commercial entrances to turn there back on 16th Ave entirely to front an interior parking lot. Glad to see our Main Street policies failing miserably
To be honest I'm okay with the parking lot being in behind and the grocery store having a main entrance to the parking lot, as long as they have at least some entrances to 16th ave. From what I can tell in the DP, the grocery store will have a main entrance to 16th as well as 4 CRUs facing 16th.....one of them looks to be earmarked for a CO-OP Cannabis store lol.

The best solution would be for the parking to be underground, but given the location I can live with surface parking as long as it doesn't front 16th.

To be honest I'm okay with the parking lot being in behind and the grocery store having a main entrance to the parking lot, as long as they have at least some entrances to 16th ave. From what I can tell in the DP, the grocery store will have a main entrance to 16th as well as 4 CRUs facing 16th.....one of them looks to be earmarked for a CO-OP Cannabis store lol.

The best solution would be for the parking to be underground, but given the location I can live with surface parking as long as it doesn't front 16th.
I just mean that the other CRU's are going to say that the units "front the street" but have entrances behind at the parking lot side too. By not saying that the unit has a back-of-house, which all CRUs and businesses do, they will leave the glazing and main entrance facing the parking lot and the 16 ave side will have a closed door and window vinyl, with a sign indicating the entrance is on the parking lot side. The interface will look exactly like this for the CRUs:

Why would you face the main entrance of the CRUs onto 16 Ave if no one can park there? The tenant will always face the closest parking, so this is the condition we will repeat over and over again in Calgary. Sure the parking lot can serve the grocery store, but my problem is that by internalizing the parking and not having on-street parking on 16 ave, all of the CRUs are going to turn there back on the main street and will orient entrances to the parking lot.

I just mean that the other CRU's are going to say that the units "front the street" but have entrances behind at the parking lot side too. By not saying that the unit has a back-of-house, which all CRUs and businesses do, they will leave the glazing and main entrance facing the parking lot and the 16 ave side will have a closed door and window vinyl, with a sign indicating the entrance is on the parking lot side. The interface will look exactly like this for the CRUs:

Why would you face the main entrance of the CRUs onto 16 Ave if no one can park there? The tenant will always face the closest parking, so this is the condition we will repeat over and over again in Calgary. Sure the parking lot can serve the grocery store, but my problem is that by internalizing the parking and not having on-street parking on 16 ave, all of the CRUs are going to turn there back on the main street and will orient entrances to the parking lot.
If I had it my way, I'd have 16th drop a couple of lanes in favor of street parking. Of course I'd be killed for doing so. lol.

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 4.10.56 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 4.10.48 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 4.10.16 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 4.10.29 PM.png

Muuuuch better. I feel like there is decent potential for 16th to be a relatively urban street from Edmonton Trail to 4 Street NW. Despite the heinous width of the avenue.

I just said 4 street because both sides are developable. There’s no chance of real urbanity in the section with the sound barrier. The area from SAIT to 19th could get pretty decent too, except for the 14 Street interchange.

Back