News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Municipal Politics

Which mayoral candidate do you intend to vote for in 2021?

• Jeremy Farkas

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Jyoti Gondek

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Brad Field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Damery

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Jeff Davison

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Doesn't the proposed recall legislation have a near impossible threshold to meet in order to trigger it? Something like 60% (really rough memory for me, but it is VERY high) of consituents need to sign on saying they are in favour? We struggle to get that turn-out in an election, I can't imagine it would be possible to reach that threshold in order to trigger a recall.

"The petitioner would then have 60 days from the date the petition is published on the website to gather signatures from eligible voters that represent 40 per cent of the population of the municipality or ward. If the petition is successful, at the next municipal council meeting, the Chief Administrative Officer would make a declaration of the successful recall petition, and the official would be removed" (source)

It's a pretty high bar, but I'm of the general view that recalls should only be done under particularly egregious situations where there is widespread consensus that an official must leave before the end of their term. You definitely want to avoid a situation where officials are recalled simply because their approval rating slips below 50% and most voters can imagine a hypothetical better candidate.

Speaking of which, is Jeff Davison really trying to mount a political comeback? He's really a study in contrasts with Farkas, who initially seemed like the more divisive candidate but was unexpectedly dignified in defeat.

Speaking of which, is Jeff Davison really trying to mount a political comeback? He's really a study in contrasts with Farkas, who initially seemed like the more divisive candidate but was unexpectedly dignified in defeat.

I thought he had already secured his legacy with the Jeff Davison Innovation Centre; he doesn't need to mount a comeback.
(hint: check Google Maps.)
1657742508615.png

Saw this comment about recall elections from Jeff Davison on LinkedIn the other day. Curious what you all think of it.
View attachment 413524

Do you think there will be a serious, organized recall effort for anyone?

There will not be a serious, organized recall, but Davison appears to have abandoned the sunny bland centrist image and is going full speed into the Pierre Poilievre lane.

Regarding the recall legislation, how do they determine what the minimum number is (the amount of people that equal 40% for a jurisdiction)? Is it the latest federal census, since we don't have a civic one anymore?

There will not be a serious, organized recall, but Davison appears to have abandoned the sunny bland centrist image and is going full speed into the Pierre Poilievre lane.
Sure, Farkas won less than 30% of the vote by running on angry conservative populism. But I'm sure Jeff's less authentic, more corporate-friendly version of the same strategy is bound to be a winner. At the very least, I bet he could DOUBLE his vote share from the last election.

Sure, Farkas won less than 30% of the vote by running on angry conservative populism. But I'm sure Jeff's less authentic, more corporate-friendly version of the same strategy is bound to be a winner. At the very least, I bet he could DOUBLE his vote share from the last election.
I could see him getting Farkas' voters, plus some other voters. Last election was a funny one....it was a two candidate race. Farkas, and the candidate with the best chance to beat Farkas. Next time around if Farkas isn't in the race, Davidson could actually have a legitimate shot. He could get most of those Farkas voters, and pick up some middle of the road voters who don't care for Gondek, but voted for her so Farkas wouldn't get in.

Anybody else feel this story is far from over?.....
Unethical dealings are okay, because "everyone knew"!

This guy might be one of the worst people on council. No apology, no acceptance of responsibility - just a complete lack of character.

‘Everybody knew’: Carra says he made no secret of his financial dealings on Inglewood property

On Tuesday, Carra insisted his failure to formally disclose that financial interest was simply a “paperwork snafu.”

Carra confirmed he made the $300,000 down payment on the property to a family friend, Brian Kernick. The property was purchased by Kernick’s company, Kernick Enterprises Ltd. Carra confirmed the money changed hands, but there was nothing put in writing.

“It was a classic Calgary handshake deal among close friends,” said the Ward 9 councillor. The title for the property shows Kernick Enterprises Ltd. became the sole owner in August of 2015, at a purchase price of just over $1 million. Carra said it was his intention to subdivide the lot and build a home on the property.

That recall legislation.... for someone who won their ward by 161 votes, it might not be too hard to get 40% to sign up to get him booted with this scandal under his belt now.

Will they be under pressure? No election for years, this 4-year budget they vote on next week is their opportunity to implement their vision, with the longest stretch of time until they "might" face actual pressure.
City Council's approval rating is already at a record low. Perhaps it should be focusing on tangible issues, rather than identity ones?

I don’t regret voting for Gondek, as the alternative was the male version of Danielle Smith. Though, yeah given the near-constant public backlash about their ineffectuality, one would think they would have actually started doing something by now.

City Council's approval rating is already at a record low. Perhaps it should be focusing on tangible issues, rather than identity ones?
This is such a stupid proposal in its current form. I remember my first encounter with the ban on single use bags when it was first implemented out in Surrey this past year. I ordered a regular meal from McDonalds and said no to a bag for $0.25 at the Drive-Thru. When I pulled up to the pickup window, the worker popped through a tray with all my food on it. I had to manually pick up my burger box and fries, which btw were falling all over the place because they aren't enclosed. I thought it was some sort of joke.

Like why ban paper bags?? How the heck am I suppose to carry out food not in an enclosed container? The only people this bylaw hurts, once again, is the working middle-class. So unfortunate this out of touch council is bringing this bylaw in.

Not that i agree with the bag thing, but is this the best place for these kind of discussions? Im starting to get Facebook vibes from this forum with all the bitching and moaning. I like this forum because its a place to talk about buildings and development without the BS, lets keep it that way.

Back