News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary International Airport

Very pleased with these news as a Parisian. And I can predict the number of fellow french in Calgary is going to increase the next comings years. Direct, affordable, flights make a huge decision when it comes to choosing the city to immigrate to.

The "west runway" is getting a $115 million rehabilitation project after securing $57.5 Million in funding from the federal government. The project will take 2-3 years to complete and will provide 200-300 jobs
https://www.yyc.com/News/tabid/91/a...s-announcement-of-almost-575M-in-funding.aspx
Seems like a great project for 2020-2021 when there’s hardly anyone using the airport …. Alas, the wheels of government turn slowly and only get some grease when Calgary Skyview happens to have a very competitive election …

Seems like a great project for 2020-2021 when there’s hardly anyone using the airport …. Alas, the wheels of government turn slowly and only get some grease when Calgary Skyview happens to have a very competitive election …
Before the recent collapse the big airports never got government funding for projects like this. They were expected to self fund.

Lucky for Calgary that the airport is in a competitive riding, if this were Michelle Rempel’s patch they probably wouldn’t get a nickel
Or it is a big airport that the federal government owns, and the federal government can either let assets descend into disrepair or prop up the existing model of airport management with cash injections. Calgary likely had the larger project ready to go, and got very lucky. Here are some other ones:
  • Winnipeg Richardson International Airport: $7 million from Transport Canada’s Airport Critical Infrastructure Program for critical infrastructure improvements including the rehabilitation of the taxiway, other airfield paved surfaces and access roads
  • Edmonton International Airport: $18.5 million from Transport Canada’s Airport Critical Infrastructure Program for critical infrastructure improvements including upgrades to runways and airfield lighting
  • Vancouver International Airport: $38.4 million from Transport Canada’s Airport Critical Infrastructure Program for critical infrastructure projects including:
    • improvements to the dyke and drainage system surrounding the airport to help protect the airport from rising sea waters and storms; and
    • the extension of the Runway End Safety Area (RESA) to provide extra space for an aircraft to stop safely in an emergency or in the event an aircraft leaves the end of the runway.

Or it is a big airport that the federal government owns, and the federal government can either let assets descend into disrepair or prop up the existing model of airport management with cash injections. Calgary likely had the larger project ready to go, and got very lucky. Here are some other ones:
  • Winnipeg Richardson International Airport: $7 million from Transport Canada’s Airport Critical Infrastructure Program for critical infrastructure improvements including the rehabilitation of the taxiway, other airfield paved surfaces and access roads
  • Edmonton International Airport: $18.5 million from Transport Canada’s Airport Critical Infrastructure Program for critical infrastructure improvements including upgrades to runways and airfield lighting
  • Vancouver International Airport: $38.4 million from Transport Canada’s Airport Critical Infrastructure Program for critical infrastructure projects including:
    • improvements to the dyke and drainage system surrounding the airport to help protect the airport from rising sea waters and storms; and
    • the extension of the Runway End Safety Area (RESA) to provide extra space for an aircraft to stop safely in an emergency or in the event an aircraft leaves the end of the runway.
So you are telling me that this announcement on August 13, 2021 had no connection whatsoever to the writ drop on August 15?

So you are telling me that this announcement on August 13, 2021 had no connection whatsoever to the writ drop on August 15?
They were trying to get all the projects announced out the door from the funding announced in May. What I am saying is it doesn't matter the riding it is in. It just matters that it is a large airport in Canada.

If memory serves the rehabilitation and upgrades to the west runway were planned to have happened right after the new parallel opened up, but I think with finances and the new terminal and such they got shelved.

It's probably close to a 50/50 chance, given both of the parallel runways are the 2 longest in Canada I wouldn't be surprised of one stays asphalt and one stays concrete. Logically the airport would change it to concrete, the only reason I doubt they will change is because asphalt and concrete offer different friction coefficients when wet/icy, its not much but asphalt offers slightly more grip but that can make a huge difference at Calgarys elevation.

At least that would be my guess.

Back