News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary International Airport

A flight from YYC to India isn't completely unrealistic, before covid there was roughly 56,000 bookings per year, or roughly 1100 PAX per week from Calgary to Delhi, that is enough to warrant 2x weekly flights with out taking into account Edmontons 42,000 yearly PAX, and 30,000 PAX from Sask (rough estimate) that could find it more convenient to connect through YYC rather than YVR or YYZ.

They had me flying out of the international terminal on Friday. Had to run from one end of the airport to the other haha! So pretty though.

AE8A2062-DDBC-47DF-BB97-9C14FD9F9877.jpeg
9C5EF8A6-93DB-446F-96CE-C035F68AA4CD.jpeg
85A24398-1FC8-46A7-9508-B45DF24ACC25.jpeg

I had to do the same! I flew back to University a few weeks ago, checked in at the AC counter in the domestic terminal and my flight boarded at the end of the E Tier! I definitely didn't mind either our international terminal is beautiful, definitely my favourite in North America (YVR is a close second).

It's too bad the flight path from Toronto to Delhi wasn't westward instead of eastward, it would be easy enough to do a two or three times a week flight originating in Toronto, stopping in Calgary and then onto Delhi.

At any rate, I think it's not an 'if', but 'when' situation. Our south Asian population is increases here and in nearby cities, and also for the fact that you have a country of 1.3 billion people where a middle class is slowly emerging...a middle class that will be traveling to places like Banff.

How many ULCC's is that now?

Flair
Swoop (Baby WestJet)
Enerjet
Canada Jetlines
Lynx
Rouge (Baby AC)
Sunwing (Technically a ULCC)

Some fo these are bound to go bust soon, a country with 36 million can only support so many airlines especially when we have that Duopoly that we do. Hopefully one day Flair can become nationally established and compete thoroughly with WJ and AC. If we are able to have a third major airlines and a competitive low cost airlines Id be happy and maybe it would cost a small fortune to fly within Canada.

*Correction Enerjet is now Lynx

Last edited by a moderator:
Westjet secured 8 slots at Heathrow for 2022, therefore they (shockingly) have announced YYC-LHR on the 787 starting in s22 (4 times weekly). British Airways also has slots reserved for YYC-LHR for s22 hopefully they return as well and aren't driven out by WJ and AC

Passenger traffic numbers have recovered faster than other major airports in Canada. 58% below 2019 numbers as of last month so still a ways to go. But with all the routes coming online things are looking good

Back