News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary International Airport

It's a bit of a poor picture but my visit to the Stampede today was my annual reminder that in the BMO 'Western Oasis' the Stampede is able to use 100% temporary fountains, vegetation and lighting to create a better looking/more comfortable lounge area than the CAA was able to do in their sterile new US/International Departures lounges. So very disappointing.

Is the ramp chaos due to the terminal design, or because too many flights coming in at the same time?
Unlike YYZ, the apron in Calgary is uncontrolled... so it's a free for all. Everything is "at your discretion" so there's literally no rules. Air Canada will call for pushback and WestJet will push to block them, etc.

July passenger stats are out, trying to remember the last time domestic passenger numbers were negative:

July 2019

Domestic: -1.2%
Transborder: +9.7%
International: +17.9%
Overall: +2.2%

I wonder if the weak domestic number for June and July were the result of the 737 MAX groundings. The Transborder and International numbers are very encouraging though as YYC becomes more of major hub

Last edited:
Seasonal makes more sense it this time. It seems a lot of the traffic is from tourism, and Calgary nor Beijing both have winter weather. Beijing, not as cold in the winter, or early spring, but not very warm.
Someday when there is more business traffic, I would expect to see it back full time.

I wonder if this spells the end of Hainan to YYC? Or at the very least an indication it may go summer seasonal only.

Edit: Poster on a YYC Facebook group says it is confirmed summer seasonal now. No press release or anything out yet I can find.

Back